Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

B&M Hi Tek tranny cooler installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
B&M Hi Tek tranny cooler installation

(Orig posted in tranny section, but no replies)

Does anyone have pics of a B&M Hi Tek (the one with a fan) supercooler installed? During a search I found one member who installed it (no pics) but had to remove the hood latch. Don't wanna do that.

I'm seriously considering one of these units. I like the fact it has it's own thermostat.

Not sure if I really need the fan but it does get pretty hot when stuck in traffic on the highways around here (Austin) during the summer.

I've had major problems keeping the eng cool with A/C running when stuck in traffic (had to install a beefy BeCool rad and use 2 elec fans).

I will not be using trans cooler in radiator.

Thx!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 trans am clone
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700r4
Re: B&M Hi Tek tranny cooler installation

i got a regular tranny cooler maybe a foot and some by like 8 inches by 1inch. i have mine ziptied on the support braces that cross in front fo the radiator. not sure if your camaro has those but if it does youll see the x they make and i put mine centered on that and its been working great didnt have to move a thing. sorry no pics of it installed i forgot.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by ZZ28ZZ
(Orig posted in tranny section, but no replies)

...I've had major problems keeping the eng cool with A/C running when stuck in traffic (had to install a beefy BeCool rad and use 2 elec fans).

I will not be using trans cooler in radiator.

Thx!
Did you ever think that your transmission/converter could be causing the engine cooling system to run hot?
There's a lot of people running similar setups that haven't had to resort to a trans cooler like that.
What stall speed converter do you have in it?
I just think something is amiss here. The BeCool with 2 fans should be enough to cool a big block and a trans with a high stall converter.
If you use an external cooler for the trans, use it with the one in the radiator. The external by itself will not be enough to keep the trans from frying.
The external is almost always put in front of the radiator where it pass its heat right back into the coolant, which is what the internal one does in the first place. Bright, huh.
I think something is wrong with your transmission/converter or engine or waterpump or cooling system if it's building that much heat. Such as open loop used for TB coolant bypass, mixed up hoses for engine oil cooler/cab heater allowing the coolant to freely circulate but not thru the engine or thru the radiator.

Last edited by Supervisor42; 05-08-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Supreme Member

I'm sure the hot tranny fluid wasn't helping my high eng temp issue. I was running an old style tranny cooler tied to the evaporator, but those aren't very efficient. The torque converter was stock for a C200 and later a stock conv for an 87 GTA.

I got a good deal on a basically new BeCool rad cause the guy bought it thinking it had a cooler, but it's made for a manual tranny, so no cooler provisions.

I just finished building the tranny last week. Actually, it's still on the stand.

I will be running a new stock converter for a V6 S-10 which has a little higher stall and will probably add a little more heat.

I've been having cooling issues with the car as long as I've owned it (since 84). I've tried pretty much everything. Direct drive flex fan, stock fan and a suburban fan clutch, 4-core copper rad, custom shorouds, new rad caps, high perf water pumps, water wetter, replaced eng (due to it being worn out),etc. Tried everything except removed the condenser, and I'm not giving up the A/C!

The BeCool and the 2 elec fans seems to be doing the trick so far (highest temp so far has been 205 and that was in 100-degs, 95% humidity weather stuck in a traffic jam with A/C on high). Just don't wanna add any more of a heat load to the rad and I definately don't wanna harm the fresh tranny, hence the B&M supercooler.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ZZ28ZZ
... but it's made for a manual tranny, so no cooler provisions.
... I definately don't wanna harm the fresh tranny, hence the B&M supercooler.
Oh, well then that's completely different.
You will want the supercooler with the fan. I would recommend a trans temp gauge. It doesn't have to be in the pan. The industrial ones I work with are always on the oil cooler line that takes the oil to the cooler. That is where the highest temp is found. You'll have to get used to looking at tranny temp different from engine temp. 250 is normal. 300 is too high.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Supreme Member

I've been researching the temp gauge sensor placement on this site for a few days. Seems to be several trains of thought on this subject.
In oil output line would give mainly torque converter temp.
In the oil return line, lets you know if oil entering tranny is cool enough.
In the pan, give temp of fluid going to clutches (and provides a convienent draining point)
And last but not least, temp sensor screwed into one of the external press taps that are normally plugged, which would give tranny case temp and could be good input too. Humm

The supercooler has a 175 deg thermostat to engage the fan, so hopefully pan temps will stay between 140 and 180 or so under stop and go conditions. On the highway, with torque conv clutch engaged, and lots of air coming thru the grill, I'm thinking the temps will be even lower than that.

Don't have any problem believing 250 degs on a truck especially on the oil output line would be abt right, but that seems pretty high for a Camaro pan temp.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Any of the above will be fine. Just put one on it. If you don't already have a drain on the pan, put it there. I put a 6mm drain bolt and copper washer on all mine. No sense having to take a "Dexron shower" everytime you pull the dang pan.

Last edited by Supervisor42; 05-09-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: since, sense, cents. no wonder mexicans can't learn english.