Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

91 Z/28 lost key's..and busted ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 89 2.77 BW 9-bolt disc possi
91 Z/28 lost key's..and busted ignition

hello every one...i'm looking for some advice/ideas....i'm looking at buying a 91 z28 150k...350 TPI auto...the guy is in the army and lost the key's....so he tride to hot wire it with a screw driver...and then...found out about the vats system!...so my question is...with the 91 z for sale is a 91 rs v-6 parts car...can i just swap columns?...or what would be the best/easyest to do?...i read the vats story with the splice in diod...but i have no keys at all...is the vats system all coneted to the column...or is the box that the yellow wires feed under the dash some where..and would i need that also from the doner rs?...how do you remove the column?...has anyone done this recentley...that can give me the 123 of removeal?...i'm a master macanic...jest never been behind the wheel....any thoughts ?..much aprish-e-ate'ed..thanks
Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: not the best not the worst
Re: 91 Z/28 lost key's..and busted ignition

Originally Posted by RlphKnndy496
...i'm a master "macanic"...jest never been behind the wheel....
Hmmmm... you dont say well i am almost a genius
Old 05-07-2008, 05:26 AM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: 91 Z/28 lost key's..and busted ignition

Yes you can swap the columns. It would be easier if you don't have the tools for pulling the steering wheel. If you have them, just get a new non-vats cylinder (about $12.00) and replace the broken one.
After putting in the non-vats cylinder, you'll need to bypass the VATS. GM used 15 values of resistance in their keys. You will need to start at the top of the list, build these values, and jump the white and purple wires mentioned below. You have to wait about 5 minutes in between each try, since the module will "lock you out" for a few minutes after seeing the wrong resistance. You don't have to solder them in while testing, but once you get the right one, solder it in.

If you decide to remove the column, it's not hard.
The chiltons makes it sound hard, but once you get under there, you'll see, it takes about 20 minutes, to remove and replace it.

Removal & Installation

The front of the dash mounting plates must be loosened whenever the steering column is to be lowered from the instrument panel.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. On 1990-92 vehicles, disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system as follows:
    1. Turn the steering wheel so the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight-ahead.
      The wheels of the vehicle must be in the straight-ahead position and the steering column in the locked position before proceeding with steering column removal. Failure to follow this procedure will cause the SIR coil to become uncentered, resulting in damage to the coil assembly.
    2. Remove the SIR fuse from the fuse block.
    3. Remove the left sound insulator by removing the nut from the stud and gently prying the insulator from the knee bolster.
    4. Disconnect the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) and yellow 2-way SIR harness connector at the base of the steering column.
  3. Remove the nut and bolt from the upper intermediate shaft coupling. Separate the coupling from the lower end of the steering column.
  4. Remove the steering wheel, if the column is to be replaced or repaired on the bench.
  5. Remove the knee bolster and bracket, if equipped.
  6. Remove the bolts attaching the toe plate to the cowl.
  7. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
  8. Remove the capsule nuts attaching the steering column support bracket to the instrument panel.
  9. Disconnect the park lock cable from the ignition switch inhibitor, if equipped with automatic transmission.
  10. Remove the steering column from the vehicle.
To install:
If a replacement steering column is being installed, do not remove the anti-rotation pin until after the steering column has been connected to the steering gear. Removing the anti-rotation pin before the steering column is connected to the steering gear may damage the SIR coil assembly.
  1. Position the steering column in the vehicle.
  2. Connect the park lock cable to the ignition switch inhibitor on vehicles with automatic transmission.
  3. Install the capsule nuts attaching the steering column support bracket to the instrument panel and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
  4. Install the nut and bolt to the upper intermediate shaft coupling attaching the upper intermediate shaft to the steering column. Tighten the nut to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
  5. Install the bolts attaching the toe plate to the cowl and tighten to 58 inch lbs. (6.5 Nm).
  6. Connect the electrical connectors.
  7. Remove the anti-rotation pin if a service replacement steering column is being installed.
  8. Install the knee bolster and bracket, if equipped.
  9. Install the sound insulator panel.
If SIR coil has become uncentered by turning of the steering wheel without the column connected to the steering gear, follow the proper adjustment procedure for the SIR coil assembly before proceeding.
  1. Install the steering wheel.
  2. Connect the negative battery cable.
  3. Enable the SIR system as follows:
    1. Connect the yellow 2-way SIR harness connector to the base of the steering column and CPA clip and install the SIR fuse.
    2. Install the left sound insulator.
    3. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position and verify that the inflatable restraint indicator flashes 7-9 times and then turns OFF. If the indicator does not respond as stated, a problem within the SIR system is indicated.
Now, on to the VATS module. If the donor car has the key, then yes, you will need the VATS module from it. It's high up inside the dash, on the driver side. Just follow the white w/ black stripe and purple w/ white stripe wires that are coming from the column. Replace it with the one from the 6 cyl. Remember that only if you're using the column from the 6, and it has the key.

Lastly:
You're in dangerous territory under there. The airbag can seriously injure you. MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND PULL THE SIR FUSE!!!