Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

cam pre lube question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cam pre lube question

Hey, is it possible to use too much prelube (white lithium grease in this case) on the bearing surfaces when installing a new camshaft? It seems the assembly lube could potentially clog the oil gallies and I'm not sure how that could affect the engine when it's time to start it up for the first time.

One more question, on a 1989 L98, I read a quick note somewhere that there is a 1/2" oil galley plug that sits in the block on the driver's side under the #5 main cap. The problem is I have 3 other books that go over the assembly process (one of which is the service manual for the car) and none of the other books say anything about this little plug. According to the book that I read the info, without this little plug oil pressure could drop as much as 20psi as a result. Does anyone know anything about this little plug?

~Steve
Old 04-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: cam pre lube question

Originally Posted by 88blkbrd
Hey, is it possible to use too much prelube (white lithium grease in this case) on the bearing surfaces when installing a new camshaft? It seems the assembly lube could potentially clog the oil gallies and I'm not sure how that could affect the engine when it's time to start it up for the first time.
...Does anyone know anything about this little plug?
The white lithium grease will plug the oil filter, not the oil galleries. I trust this is a roller cam and not a flat tappet. Flat tappets need special lube on the lobes or they will not survive break-in. How much white grease on a roller cam is too much, is relative.
If you used a boat paddle to put it on, you used too much.
It's not going to matter because you're going to change the break-in oil and filter out after 100 miles or less, right?
Below is a picture of the little plug in the block. I think nobody mentions it hoping everyone will leave the damn little thing alone.
If it is left out the oil has a straight shot and will not go thru the filter.
It is positioned between the passage leading to and returning from the filter.
It forces the oil to take a "detour".
The problem is after someone takes it out, they don't know how far to drive it back in. If it is driven in too shallow, it blocks the flow to the filter, too deep and it blocks the flow from the filter. It really should just be left the hell alone.
Attached Thumbnails cam pre lube question-oiling.jpg  
Old 04-26-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I am using a roller cam. What I have done is used the white lithium grease on the bearings and special cam break in lubrication (made by comp cams for use on cam lobes and lifters) on the lobes. I plan on changing the break in oil after the initial startup and run time. Then I'll probably change the oil after about 100 miles.

That picture was a great help, thank you. I'm going to remove the #5 cap and take a peek with a flash light. The book that mentioned it showed it outside of the block and I wasn't sure whether it was installed very shallow or deep. I'm sure the guy who machined my block installed it. I just got concerned when I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else in my literature, and then didn't see it while installing the crankshaft.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by 88blkbrd
... I'm sure the guy who machined my block installed it...
Hopefully he never took it out.
Only way I know of to come up with the correct depth dimension is to measure another stock block.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

You don't need to break in a roller cam, just start the car and drive it.
Search on here, sofakingdom has made numerous posts about that little plug and it's significance. I think he's posted a number or a picture or something that might help you (assuming the engine is still bare, on a stand?)