Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Random Power Lapse

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: TPI 5.7L (L98)
Transmission: Automatic w/OD (700R4)
Axle/Gears: Stock Axle 2.77 gears
Random Power Lapse

Hey guys. 88 IROC 350. I have never had this happen. I took a turn out of a parking lot and hit the gas hard on the straight, and there was a sudden lapse of power for about a second. When I say lapse of power, I mean absolutely nothing. Loud acceleration like usual and then silence all of a sudden. Then right back to normal acceleration. After that my car threw a 34 code which is a MAF sensor code. My car is notorious for throwing a random 34 code due to what I believe is the lack of a true seal between the air cleaner and the MAF sensor housing. I have noticed a loud buzzing near the rear end after driving and turning the car off since I bought it in 06. Could it be the fuel pump going? It hasn't done it again since. It was almost like a hiccup or something. I have a newly rebuilt engine, new wires, plugs, rotor, oxygen sensor and fuel filter (last summer the engine wa installed and the parts were put on and the car is garaged in the late fall to early spring). Any ideas?
Thanks,
jcrules78
Old 04-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Random Power Lapse

Originally Posted by jcrules78
... I have noticed a loud buzzing near the rear end after driving and turning the car off since I bought it in 06. Could it be the fuel pump going?...
This is normal for a 3rd-gen that has had the muffler changed to a non-stock muffler and it is heating the gas in the tank. The sound is the gas vapor under pressure escaping thru the valve in the cap. Mine would sit and "moan" in the garage for 10 minutes after being run hard. It has nothing to do with the fuel pump.
The other problem sounds like an intermittent electrical problem. Like the power is blinking off and on to electrical parts on the engine.
Hows the wiring system on the car, Ignition switch, etc.?
Old 04-20-2008, 03:23 PM

I have never messed with the wiring harness at all. I have messed with the ignition module before, I took it out and checked it before reinstalling it. The spark plug wires are new MSD Super Conductors, but I noticed one had some of that black heat shielding get melted onto it from being close to a heat source, so I pulled it away and tied it off with some wire. It didn't burn through the wire, just the heat shielding. Is there something that I should pull apart and check? I pulled out my MAF sensor and checked it out. I only had one screen left in the MAF sensor housing (the rear one that heads towards the throttle body), so I pulled that screen out for some extra air flow. After I reinstalled the MAF housing, the check engine light went off. I haven't noticed this kind of power lapse happen again.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by jcrules78
... After I reinstalled the MAF housing, the check engine light went off. I haven't noticed this kind of power lapse happen again.
It may have been a "blob" of water come up the fuel line from the tank from sitting thru the winter...
Old 04-21-2008, 12:40 PM

True. I plan on doing an oil change today, and I also have a bottle of Valvoline SynPower Complete Fuel System Cleaner I will add to the gas tank. Hopefully, that will clean up the fuel lines and injectors nice. It better, I paid 10 bucks for the stuff! If any other bizarre occurrences take place, I'll post again.
Thanks Super42
JCRULZ
PS
Nice Trans Am! You can't go wrong with black!