Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

need link to smog delete on 82-84 birds

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 T/A WS6
Engine: L69 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: fact G80 with GT4 3.73
need link to smog delete on 82-84 birds

please guys. can u give me a link that shows detailed info on how to remove my smog components on my 84. i can't even find it in tech. its all for serpentine appilcations.
thanks in advance.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
You should be able to look under the hood and figure that out.

Why do you think they need to be removed? What do you think can be removed? The stuff isn't hurting anything, and removing it will dirty up your exhaust. Living in an area that doesn't do emissions inspection or testing doesn't mean anything in that regard.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
Re: need link to smog delete on 82-84 birds

If you've got a howling smog pump or a rats nest of wires, go nuts I guess.
Step 1 - Unbolt and remove the stuff that you deem unnecessary
Step 2 - Drive away with that smug feeling that your car is no longer saddled down with smog junk
Step 3 - Start troubleshooting all the problems your car now has

I shouldn't be so crass though, I removed all unnecessary parts as soon as I got my car (smog, cruise control, orb of power, etc etc etc). That was because nothing worked, and top priority was to get it running right (ie. moving down the street in a more or less straight line).
Old 04-02-2008, 05:03 PM

because i want to and i'm installing long tube headers this weekend with duals. and in the future will be a 383. my plans have changed.
my car is classic and is inspection exempt. thanks anyway.

Living in an area that doesn't do emissions inspection or testing doesn't mean anything in that regard.

BLAHH BLAHH BLAHH> whatever dude. in the future, if u can't just tell me how to do something, then i'd rather u didn't post in my inquiries. if i want ur opinion i'll ask for it.

thanks sonic. i got it. u are right i was getting nervous for nothing. it was easy.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:51 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

five7kid is just trying to save you from potentially getting in trouble if you get stopped by the police with an illegally modified car. Some officers will impound it on the spot, others will give you a warning, and still others wont care.
But by removing the emissions devices from your street car, you are giving our car hobby a bad name that we'll all a bunch of gas-guzzling polluters.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6blackhawk88
because i want to and i'm installing long tube headers this weekend with duals. and in the future will be a 383. my plans have changed.
my car is classic and is inspection exempt. thanks anyway.

Living in an area that doesn't do emissions inspection or testing doesn't mean anything in that regard.

BLAHH BLAHH BLAHH> whatever dude. in the future, if u can't just tell me how to do something, then i'd rather u didn't post in my inquiries. if i want ur opinion i'll ask for it.

thanks sonic. i got it. u are right i was getting nervous for nothing. it was easy.
Don't feel bad dude, those two go off on everyone that mention anything about removing any smog stuff. I tried to point out the fact in an earlier post that not everyone lives in a state as smog crazy as CA is, and old Five 7 conveniently deleted my post. Face it man, most people who still drive a thirdgen in this day and age ARE gas-guzzling polluters. There's a lot of states in the union where you can drive around with a rag for a gas cap and nobody bats an eye. Keep one other thing in mind too though, most of us car nuts care enough about our rides to keep them running topnotch, so they run pretty clean no matter how much smog equipment is removed. Before my motor got really high in mileage, I used to pass the local smog test every year with a gutted cat, no smog pump, and no egr. Just my personal opinion here, which I should be entitled to post without it being deleted, but as uptight as some of you guys are about the emissions , sell your thirdgen, buy a Toyota Prius, and be done with it. Ok, done ranting now. Now I just gotta wait and see how long it takes for the Mods to find my naughty little post and discipline me for it.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:57 AM

i don't want to be banned so i'll keep it sort of nice. but this has to be said.

i can appreciate the fact that 5-7 and kevin are only lookin out. and i do appreciate that. but i did not ask anything about that. and 5-7's comment." well why do YOU think it has to be removed" don't ever talkk down to me again. i am not ur son. its that hollier than thow attitude that i've seen these two guys give everybody who has posted about removing their A.I.R system. it is disrespectful.

for the record. i am goin to run 2 cats for my dual set-up. i just wanted to clean up my engine bay for now.

in closing. Kevin and Five7. my suggestion to u guys is this;. unless someone asks about emission laws,don't feel the need to educate them. chances are they are not idiots. especially if they feel they can do their own work. thanks. i'm done.

Last edited by L69HAWK; 04-03-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:49 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

You would be surprised at the people who dont know its illegal to remove their emissions devices. Especially if they're young and their friends or their neighbors tell them to "remove that smog crap and your car will gain 100 HP." And there are lots of owners who dont have money and think its cheaper to remove stuff than replace it, which makes the car run dirty. Its true back in the 70's the smog devices were band-aids and make the cars run like crap so they would be cleaner. But in the 80's and 90's the auto companies got smarter and were able to make power and still have clean engines. The only thing restrictive about our cars now is the stock cat. Replace that with a new "high-flow" one and you're all good.

I've always said, I can make 400+ horsepower, run 12's, get 25+ miles per gallon on the freeway, and pass CA's tough smog test. So can you. Eventually you will have to, as the dumb politicians will believe the global warming crap and make your state have emissions tests.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
You would be surprised at the people who dont know its illegal to remove their emissions devices. Especially if they're young and their friends or their neighbors tell them to "remove that smog crap and your car will gain 100 HP." And there are lots of owners who dont have money and think its cheaper to remove stuff than replace it, which makes the car run dirty. Its true back in the 70's the smog devices were band-aids and make the cars run like crap so they would be cleaner. But in the 80's and 90's the auto companies got smarter and were able to make power and still have clean engines. The only thing restrictive about our cars now is the stock cat. Replace that with a new "high-flow" one and you're all good.

I've always said, I can make 400+ horsepower, run 12's, get 25+ miles per gallon on the freeway, and pass CA's tough smog test. So can you. Eventually you will have to, as the dumb politicians will believe the global warming crap and make your state have emissions tests.

my state does have emissions. but not for classic or antique cars. in the 80's h/p #'s sucked too. it wasn't until the 90's that they started getting better.but i'm not debatting that. cats is what makes a car run clean. if we still needed the air pump the manufacturers would still be using them and charcole cannisters. truth is u don't need all the smog air tubes and pump,just a good cat and an egr system with todays tech. this is what poeple have been trying to tell u guys (u &5-7).
Old 04-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.

The need to educate those less fortunate souls who are ignorant was a driving force in building this board. Thinking in the short term about your wants with regard to the emissions is just that. We'll just put aside the fact that it is a federal crime to boot.

It is a public forum, one which allows any member to post relationally to the thread. They did. If you don't like it feel free to add them to your ignore list, but don't make the mistake of thinking you can tell them they can't post in your threads.

As for your two cats that are going to keep everything peachy keen because of new tech, blah, blah, blah... do you have the associated 'new tech' like say a pcm, sfi, quad o2's, etc. that will be able to control all of your associated 'new tech' emissions stuff or are you blithely assuming that two cats'll do it without thinking with regard to how the system is actually set up? People like you are the reason the smog ****'s in CA exist, the reason for tougher emissions standards seeping their way across the country and the crap some of us have to overcome to prove that our cars should be on the road without hassle. And if you think your 'classic' tag is safe, go peek over at how MA has changed their crap over the course of the last ten years or so. Ignorance must be blissful.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:30 PM

whatever.

Last edited by L69HAWK; 04-05-2008 at 03:42 PM.