Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

NO dang OIL PRESSURE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008 | 10:56 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro IROC z/28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: stock
NO dang OIL PRESSURE!

ok, i have a hunch that the oil pump might be the couplet for this problem i just need some input, i might be wrong. I took the wire off the oil pressure sending unit and touched it to ground.. the oil gauge pegged high past 60.. I read it was suppose to do that. Now i plug the wire back on the senor, i got 0 PSI on the gauge.. SOO i think the gauge is working. I replaced the oil pan about a month ago and had to take out the oil pump... I'm almost positive that i meshed the drive shaft with the distributor gear.. which would cause a functioning oil pump correct? Would i hear any noises that would tell me its definaty the oil pump.. or should i just replace the damn sensor??
Old 03-27-2008 | 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Re: NO dang OIL PRESSURE!

Originally Posted by Fastflyin89
ok, i have a hunch that the oil pump might be the couplet for this problem i just need some input, i might be wrong. I took the wire off the oil pressure sending unit and touched it to ground.. the oil gauge pegged high past 60.. I read it was suppose to do that. Now i plug the wire back on the senor, i got 0 PSI on the gauge.. SOO i think the gauge is working. I replaced the oil pan about a month ago and had to take out the oil pump... I'm almost positive that i meshed the drive shaft with the distributor gear.. which would cause a functioning oil pump correct? Would i hear any noises that would tell me its definaty the oil pump.. or should i just replace the damn sensor??
If you have a mechanical gauge, or wanted to buy one, you could test the oil pressure, otherwise, replace the sender.
Old 03-27-2008 | 11:33 AM

Car: 1987 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 7.5 inch 342

I don't think you could have got the oil pump to bolt up to the rear main if the shaft did not engage the distributor. I always pull the oil sending unit and plug in a mechanical gauge to check for a problem.
Old 03-27-2008 | 11:35 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro IROC z/28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: stock

Thank you that gives me piece of mind.. i'll try a mechanical gauge.