Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1985 Firebird S/E Hesitates and bogs down when i punch it

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 Firebird S/E Hesitates when i punch it

Ok this is incredibly annoying but for the longest time when i get excited (lol) and floor my carbed 305 Firebird it bogs down and hesitates It's very anti-climatic...

Now...this has happened in my last car too...so im wondering is this normal behavior for cars? is it some kind of feature put in to keep consumers from flooring thier cars and causing damage? I think it might be something like that but correct me if im wrong. Another reason i think this is because i hear alot of people have this problem...but when i searched the forum there wasent a definite answer...I think we should all chime in here and get to the bottom of this craaaap

Sometimes it's fine sometimes it's not...sometimes when i put the pedal halfway and then punch it its fine...

Anyways its VERY VERY annoying and I just changed the fuel filter yesterday....it was pretty dirty...but of course no change....just like the time i changed the filter in my other car....figures.

Arg... Anybody with the same engine and same problem? any one with the same engine and can floor it with no problem?

I would do absolutely ANYTHING to fix this problem even if i have to modify the engine.

Last edited by Spitzfiya; 03-24-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
Re: 1985 Firebird S/E Hesitates when i punch it

Silly rabbit. If I found a GM engineer who designed my car to do that, i'd sneak up on him in a dark alleyway and make him wish he was never born...

Fortunately that's not the case.
It's an INCREDIBLY common problem though. It's the stereotypical quadrabog. And there's a super easy solution and thats
----------

i've always wanted to do that. you'll get the email and no relevant info in it... hahahahaha!

ahh, pysch! Ok, check this article, reset your air valve tension and report back if it changed anything.
https://www.thirdgen.org/quadrajet

HINT: You will most likely need to *increase* the tension slightly to get rid of the bog. 3/4 turn past "flaccid" is usually a good spot to try.

Last edited by Sonix; 03-24-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-24-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 1985 Firebird S/E Hesitates when i punch it

Originally Posted by Sonix
Silly rabbit. If I found a GM engineer who designed my car to do that, i'd sneak up on him in a dark alleyway and make him wish he was never born...

Fortunately that's not the case.
It's an INCREDIBLY common problem though. It's the stereotypical quadrabog. And there's a super easy solution and thats
----------

i've always wanted to do that. you'll get the email and no relevant info in it... hahahahaha!

ahh, pysch! Ok, check this article, reset your air valve tension and report back if it changed anything.
https://www.thirdgen.org/quadrajet

HINT: You will most likely need to *increase* the tension slightly to get rid of the bog. 3/4 turn past "flaccid" is usually a good spot to try.
Haha yea i kinda figured that was a stupid assumption

But ok ill try that, thanks