Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Autozone plug idiocy

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008 | 07:03 PM

Car: 1991 Chevy Z-28
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Autozone plug idiocy

Not sure if this belongs in this forum or not...so many people argue spark plugs here that I thought you all could appreciate this.

So there I was at the parts counter, the guy is punching in my vehicle information and looking up spark plugs. He asks me if I have a preference. I tell him AC delco. He says he thinks they should still have some in stock. I ask what he means...he tells me that his store stopped ordering them because people aren't buying them like they used to. I ask "Really?" He says yeah, because Bosch makes so much more of a superior product, what with the 4+, Fusions, etc. I ask him if he is serious, he says he is. Then he tells me that they do have some delcos...I say, "Copper", he says "I don't know, it says standard". <-And you are going to tell me your "professional" opinion of spark plugs.

But alas, I got my delcos....
Old 03-21-2008 | 07:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?
Re: Autozone plug idiocy

if you had tried to pay with 2$ bills i bet he would have freaked . LOL ...
Old 03-23-2008 | 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by UNCLE TOM
if you had tried to pay with 2$ bills i bet he would have freaked . LOL ...
I broke down the drive-thru at a Burger King with one! I didn't intend to, until the girl told me that they don't take "fake" money, then I insisted.
The funny part is, it took the MANAGER 5 minutes on the phone to find someone with a >65 IQ .
...I can hardly wait until the presidential dollar coins come out!
(doncha just love having fun with stupid people?)
Old 03-23-2008 | 11:54 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by vantheman1976
Not sure if this belongs in this forum or not...so many people argue spark plugs here that I thought you all could appreciate this.

So there I was at the parts counter, the guy is punching in my vehicle information and looking up spark plugs. He asks me if I have a preference. I tell him AC delco. He says he thinks they should still have some in stock. I ask what he means...he tells me that his store stopped ordering them because people aren't buying them like they used to. I ask "Really?" He says yeah, because Bosch makes so much more of a superior product, what with the 4+, Fusions, etc. I ask him if he is serious, he says he is. Then he tells me that they do have some delcos...I say, "Copper", he says "I don't know, it says standard". <-And you are going to tell me your "professional" opinion of spark plugs.

But alas, I got my delcos....

Everytime a parts store clerk tries to sell me +4s or splitfire or any of that multiple groundstrap crap I always give them a lesson in basic electric. I explain the concept of electricity taking the path of least resistance. Only one of those is sparking at a time, not all 4. They usually end up confused and lost. Sometimes pissed cause a customer tells them they dont want the expensive +4 crap after they listen. Its funny, really.
Old 03-23-2008 | 12:58 PM

Car: ?
Engine: ?
Transmission: ?

Does anyone use the denso plugs? I usually stick to OEM for my daily drivers, but this is a performance car after all.
Old 03-23-2008 | 01:31 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jtreadwell
Does anyone use the denso plugs? I usually stick to OEM for my daily drivers, but this is a performance car after all.

I install denso plugs on an almost daily basis at work. Thats what our yodas come stock with, and whall all of our replacement plugs are. A yoda box with a denso plug inside.
Old 03-23-2008 | 01:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5

I have been using NGK plugs in my Bird and they work pretty good.
Old 03-23-2008 | 02:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

CHAMPION BABY!!!
Not that they are such good plugs, but I grew up reading them and they have more heat ranges available than others do.
When you start looking more than 3 heat ranges colder or hotter, they'll only be available in Champion.
And don't y'all start with the "them grandaddy's plugs" stuff or I'll start rattling off plugs that are available in Champion and are not in the "fancy" brands. (and yes, there are plenty that are available in NGK, Denso, Bosch, etc. that are not in Champion)
Old 03-24-2008 | 12:25 PM

Car: 92 RS
Engine: 3.1 (191) V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: pos track

i tried the brand bosch the 4+ ones and they suck, they make you waste more gas specialy now that gas prices are high so i change to Ac Delco and started saving gas lol. (FTW AC Delco)
Old 03-24-2008 | 01:29 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 383 LT1
Transmission: built 700r4 and fuddle 3500stall
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 auburn

delcos for a stock motor.... on a vortec or lt1 i run ngk tr6 plugs... only 1.50/ea from oreillys
Old 03-24-2008 | 01:30 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Supervisor42
CHAMPION BABY!!!
Not that they are such good plugs, but I grew up reading them and they have more heat ranges available than others do.
When you start looking more than 3 heat ranges colder or hotter, they'll only be available in Champion.
And don't y'all start with the "them grandaddy's plugs" stuff or I'll start rattling off plugs that are available in Champion and are not in the "fancy" brands. (and yes, there are plenty that are available in NGK, Denso, Bosch, etc. that are not in Champion)
Champions are decent plugs, but I have had problems. I have noticed that on some champion plugs the porcelin is longer than on a competing plug. While ok on manifolds this can be a real pain when dealing with headers. Also, it seems the copper plugs they make tend to foul sooner. On an engine with out changing any tune whatsoever I have had them fail a lot sooner. I usually just stick with AC Delco. If it was good enough for the general, I guess its good enough for me.