Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine flush after water in oil...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine flush after water in oil...

I just wanted to get a little advice from you all. My 99 Tahoe(daily driver) has a leaking intake manifold gasket. There is coolant under my oil fill cap, but I cannot see any on the dip stick. I'm letting a trusted shop replace it for me. Since I can't see any on my dipstick, I'm going to assume there is not a great deal of water in my crankcase, but either way, I want it out. I have noticed that my lifters really clatter when the engine is first started, but as soon as the temp starts to climb, the engine is perfectly silent. I think this has something to do with the water(I hope). Soooooo...my question is, what is the best way to flush the engine after the intake gasket it replaced? Is there any sort of additive that aids in water removal? I have never put anything but Mobil I in it, but I don't think it would make sense to put fresh Mobile I back in and drain it right back out after a few miles....that's just kinda expensive. So tell me, whats the best way to go here. I know tons of you have changed intake manifold gaskets and such, so I know there must be a good, standard proceedure. Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 transam
Engine: 305 30 over long tubes into 3" y
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4:10
Re: Engine flush after water in oil...

how do you know the intake gasket is leaking? is there actually coolant (green or red antifreeze) or just water under the filler cap? im thinking its just condensation from cold weather then engine getting up to running temp and sweating a little. you can flush it with techron b-12 or seafoam then drain oil immediately after warm up.then fill up with usual oil.later jimmy