Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine mods for CA

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008 | 03:53 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Engine mods for CA

I'm gonna say this first, please only chime in if you are familiar with strict CA emissions requirements. This car has to stay legal, and by legal, I mean it has to pass the visual and sniffer as a 305 TBI.

Now that I've got that out of the way, pretty much the only two performance heads that are an option for me are Iron L98 heads or the latest AFR 180. I cant seem to find that any other aftermarket aluminum heads come with a CARB number. I can squeeze the budget for the AFRs if ya'll think they are truly worth it over the L98s for what I want to do.

Another thing is intake manifold. Gonna have a TBI sitting on top of it and it's going to have to be CARB legal too, which rules out any carb intakes with adapters.

Also gonna need a roller cam. I run EBL and can tune. I also have a 454 TBI unit and injectors that is ready to go on if need be. I'm running a stock L05 short block (roller) so I think that means I should keep it under 5500 RPM. Opinions on setting 5500 as my redline? My cam choice should reflect that RPM limit. It has to be streetable and EFI friendly and it has to be tame enough so I can tune it to blow clean for the smog ****'s. I've checked out all the comp cams and all the ones that get talked about on this site say "not EFI friendly" or something, so thats got me kinda confused.

My goal is to go as fast as possible in a car that passes smog, still gets good gas mileage (high teens city, mid 20s highway) and is driven to school and to work every day of the week. I cant stress the daily driver thing enough. I do wish to give some of these newer fast cars (LS1, boosted r!ce) a run for their money both on the street and the strip. I am trying to get a T56 too.

So, which cam and which heads are suitable?
Old 03-16-2008 | 12:37 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Engine mods for CA

The Edelbrock "Performer" heads are CA legal.

I think you could do pretty well with those, and the Comp "502" grind, with 1.6 roller rockers.

Don't know of ANY "TBI" intakes that have CARB #s, except the Edelbrock one.

You're not going to run with the LS1 cars with any of this, although most of the rĄcers with boost, their work is SO sloppy that their cars work rarely enough that you probably still have a pretty good chance against them at any given moment. I know when I lived out there in N SD Co, I could about count on DRILLING them in the 60', often by car-lengths, and they would never catch up; because most of them (a) didn't do anything about traction, and (b) can't drive, and (c) would have some little "excuse" thing always go wrong with their cars (I got REAL tired of hearing "I would have run better if my {fill in the blank} hadn't {fill in the blank} someday I'll buy a {fill in the blank} and fix that " loser drivel)

Keep in mind, that there are ALOT of things that make a TBI car slow, besides the TBI, or even the engine at all. You need a COMPLETE exhaust, from the heads to the street, and NOT for a TBI car; gears (your 3.42 would still be good with the 700); and a converter (2800RPM would be about right) or of course a T-56. If you end up with the T-56, you can use more gear; 3.73 minimum, or 4.10 would probably be better. Traction will be key. LCARBs and maybe aftermarket CAs will be necessary. If you do the T-56 get a whole afermarket TA such as a Spohn.
Old 03-16-2008 | 02:07 PM
Supreme Member

I just updated my sig with my existing mods. I'm installing a TPI fuel pump as we speak. Very familiar with what makes TBI cars slow...as you can see I am trying to fix that.

So you think this cam would be okay with EFI. Why do they say it wont be? I should be able to tune this thing for emissions running functional EGR and everything and still have good around-town grunt?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...8&autoview=sku

I cant find anything about the Edelbrock Performer heads being CA legal. They say "50 state legal" but they don't give a CARB number. No CARB number = not legal. Do you have a link? Is this what you're talking about?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

The Edelbrocks don't seem to be much less $$$$ than the AFR heads which seem to be a better deal if what everybody says about their quality is true. What chamber size do I want in heads? Pretty sure L05 has dished pistons.

Link to AFR heads:

http://www.jegs.com/p/AFR/756115/10002/-1/10187

Whats wrong with the Edelbrock TBI intake? I know I would have to get it bored out for the bigger TBI, is that it?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by Darkshot; 03-16-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2008 | 06:05 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

50-state legal = includes CA = has an EO #

They used to have a pdf of all the EO #s for their products on their web site; can't find it any more. In fact, I had printed it and took it to the inspector, because the # wasn't visible any more on my TES. Maybe an e-mail to Edelbrock would be in order?

So you think this cam would be okay with EFI. Why do they say it wont be?
"They"??

I can accept no responsibility for what other people screw up, and I certainly can't always tell "why" they do. So I have no the vaguest clue why "they" say that. http://www.compcams.com/technical/Ca...67_226-227.pdf See page 140 of the catalog, which is page 19 of the file, next to the last cam on the page, in the "computer controlled hydraulic roller" section.

One good thing about the Edelbrock heads is, they generally EXIST; that's a real problem with AFR products in general. Whenever you finally get them, yeah they're great; but how long can you wait? Is the difference worth it?

Whats wrong with the Edelbrock TBI intake?
Mainly, it's a TBI intake; so it has small runners and all that. Pretty much invalidates spending extra $$$ on heads. Doesn't matter too much if the head runner flow 270 CFM or whatever, if the intake runner only flows 220 or whatever.
Old 03-16-2008 | 06:39 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Oh yeah...

Your sig helps ALOT, it looks like your car is much more ready for a motor now.

Too often, people with TBI cars don't realize that there's more keeping them slow, than just what's under the hood; and especially, what they can SEE right out in the open. Like, an Edelbrock carb, a new intake, chrome valve covers, and a K&N lid, and hacking off everything they can with a tube or wire ("cleaning up the engine bay" ), won't take 2 seconds off their ET. I'm glad to see you're past all that, and have fixed some of those other inherent handicaps those cars were born with.
Old 03-24-2008 | 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

How do you feel about a 454 TBI, Edelbrock TBI intake bored to match the TBI, Iron L98 heads (should I learn to port?) and this cam?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...8&autoview=sku

Drivability/fuel mileage? Horsepower? ET? (compared to L05....?)

Daily driver car....
Old 03-24-2008 | 05:55 PM

Car: 1988 camaro iroc -z
Engine: 5.7 350
Transmission: 700 r4

im from la and was wondering wat mods i can put in 350 tpi
Old 03-25-2008 | 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

ttt....will the iron L98 castings support that much lift with some good springs?
Old 03-25-2008 | 11:24 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Sure... might have to get the guides cut down too though, or use longer valves. But you'd probably be getting the guides cut anyway for decent seals, so that's not too much of an issue.
Old 03-26-2008 | 03:02 AM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Honestly dude, it looks like with the differences in costs it'd be best to just port some L98 heads. And you could buy 2 sets for peanuts and practice on one of them even! Compared to the prices for AFR/Edelbrocks anyway.

Maybe there are some iron aftermarket heads with EGR crossovers that the smog ***** wouldn't notice the difference from stock? Do tehy check casting numbers? can they even tell as long as all the equipment is there?

Also, maybe consider putting the extra money into your valvetrain? Some good full roller rockers perhaps?

And I'm pretty sure when cam companies say "computer compatible", they generally mean "Will work on a stock tune". That's not to say you can make a giant cam work, but I think since you actually know how to properly tune your ride, you could make a bigger cam work than one that is necessarily "computer compatible".

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 03-26-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2008 | 02:17 AM
25 Year Member

Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

Check out the SoCal forum and talk to us. We have several 350 TPI's running 12 second ET's, putting down 350 RWHP, getting 25+ miles per gallon, and passing CA's smog test.

But I dont know that much about TBI to help the original poster. Other than the Ultimate TBI mods, which arent all CA-friendly, anyway.

As far as the stock iron L98 350 heads, a set of Manley 22410-16 springs, Manley 23652-16 retainers, and Manley 42106-16 3/8" screw-in studs, and you're in business for any cam up to .550" lift.