Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

help with my AC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008 | 11:32 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
help with my AC?

not sure where this goes but i figured general was good enough. Its getting hot up here in arizona and i need to fix my AC, i was told that the electrical port on my compressor where the wire plugs into is missing, anybody know what thats called? It sits on top of the compressor, i need a new one, i was told that they pull it out when the AC is serviced where do i get them and what is it?

Im planning on doing a conversion to 134 i believe it is, need it soon, its freakin hot out

Thanks for any help
Old 02-29-2008 | 11:41 PM

Car: 1991 RS Vert
Engine: LO3, 305, TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: help with my AC?

Are you talking about this one?

I've been researching the conversion to 134 myself. I think I'm going to get a new (rebuilt) compressor, new hoses, and new drier just to be sure. I think the evaporator and the condensor should be fine.
Attached Thumbnails help with my AC?-stemt0674003.jpg  
Old 03-01-2008 | 01:33 AM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

i believe so, it sits on the compressor?

TO my knowledge, for a conversion, its a kit, with new fittings, new oil (ether,pag, or no oil) new seals and some other things.
apparently you need to capture the old freeon, or just let it out and kill our ozone, change out the oil fittings and seals then gas up with new freeon....somehow that seems to simple though
Old 03-02-2008 | 10:54 PM

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 383
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 lsd

You will also need to flush the evap and condensor as mineral oil and pag are not compatible and will not mix
Old 03-02-2008 | 11:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45

There are only 2 plugs on the A/C compressor, so it's gotta be either the one pictured, or the one for the clutch (rectangular connector with 2 flat blades). The one pictured is the high-pressure cut out switch. It cuts off the A/C compressor if the pressure gets too high. Some older GM cars didn't have this plug, or had it in another location, so there is an aluminum plug in it's place. Usually when you buy a rebuilt compressor, it will not include the sensor, and you have to swap your sensor onto the new compressor. Its pretty easy to get out, there is a snap ring that holds it in (also shown in picture). Once you remove the snap ring, it just pulls straight out.

Also, since you're changing to R134, I would replace the condenser as well as the accumulator. You should replace the accumulator anyways, it's fairly cheap, and will trap any moisture in the system. As mentioned before, the oils in R12 and R134 are not compatible, so you want to get as much of the old oil out as possible. Flushing the system would be preferred, but you could probably get by without doing it, assuming you replace the compressor, accumulator, and condenser. The evaporator and lines will still contain a little mineral oil, but it should find a low spot in the system to settle. Still, if possible, it would be a good idea to have a shop flush it all out before you add new refrigerant to it.

If you're going to be replacing the components yourself, keep a can of WD-40 handy, you can use it to find leaks at the various fittings. After you've added some refrigerant, spray some WD40 on each line fitting, and look for air bubbles. You can use a water spray bottle too, I like to use WD40 because it stays in place longer.

Last edited by Ward; 03-03-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2008 | 11:35 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird S/E
Engine: 305 carb'd V8
Transmission: 4-speed auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by Ward
There are only 2 plugs on the A/C compressor, so it's gotta be either the one pictured, or the one for the clutch (rectangular connector with 2 flat blades). The one pictured is the high-pressure cut out switch. It cuts off the A/C compressor if the pressure gets too high. Some older GM cars didn't have this plug, or had it in another location, so there is an aluminum plug in it's place. Usually when you buy a rebuilt compressor, it will not include the sensor, and you have to swap your sensor onto the new compressor. Its pretty easy to get out, there is a snap ring that holds it in (also shown in picture). Once you remove the snap ring, it just pulls straight out.

Also, since you're changing to R134, I would replace the condenser as well as the accumulator. You should replace the accumulator anyways, it's fairly cheap, and will trap any moisture in the system. As mentioned before, the oils in R12 and R134 are not compatible, so you want to get as much of the old oil out as possible. Flushing the system would be preferred, but you could probably get by without doing it, assuming you replace the compressor, accumulator, and condenser. The evaporator and lines will still contain a little mineral oil, but it should find a low spot in the system to settle. Still, if possible, it would be a good idea to have a shop flush it all out before you add new refrigerant to it.

If you're going to be replacing the components yourself, keep a can of WD-40 handy, you can use it to find leaks at the various fittings. After you've added some refrigerant, spray some WD40 on each line fitting, and look for air bubbles. You can use a water spray bottle too, I like to use WD40 because it stays in place longer.
Hey bud, you can probably help me on this one since I can never get a straight answer. I need to change out my compressor however the switch that I have is a single prong that looks like a stirring straw. It's not the one pictured that has two prongs.

The compressor they sent me has that two prong switch. I have switched out the switches before however recently, it's leaked right through the switch. I noticed that little o-ring in the picture. Where exactly does that o-ring go in regards to the switch? Does it go in between the c-clamp and the switch, does it go inside, what? Also, does the compressor require it to work?