Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Vacuum line question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008 | 06:14 PM

Vacuum line question

Hi everyone. First post, but I really like the look of the boards.
The other day I was doing an ignition tune up on my '89 TBI 5.0 Camaro. I had already done the plugs a few weeks before. So I replaced cap, rotor and wires this time, and have had what feels like a misfire ever since. I have checked firing order, and wires are all connected securely. I went from 8mm to MSD 8.5mm, so I could not reuse the old looms, and haven't gotten around to putting plastic sheathing yet. Ran it at night though, didn't see any arcing from crossfires. The feeling of misfire is throughout the RPM range, doesn't seem affected by accel/decel. Present at idle or cruise.
Checked again today, and saw a broken vacuum line. I tried to plug one end with some chewing gum (I know, I suck) in a hurry, didn't make a difference. I'm not even sure what the other end of the line is connected to, so maybe the part I tried to plug was the "dead" end of the line. I can't find any diagrams for the line on Alldata, so I'm not even sure what it's going to.
My question: Would a vacuum leak give that feeling of "missing" whether idle or cruise? And just where is this undercar line going to? It looks like it has a special connector on the part that's going undercar, so if you can, be specific so I can find the correct part I'd need to attach to it. Thanks!

P.S.- I'm hating hard plastic right now.

Pic #1- The connector that's going undercar.
Pic #2- This is where the identifiable end of the line is coming from, looks to be from the cruise control diaphragm. It ends in a T-connector. One part of that went undercar, and the other goes into one of the small diameter plastic hoses, and disappears into the harness.
Pic #3- The T-connector. The top part is where the break is, that goes undercar. The left part disappears into the harness. The right part comes from what looks like the cruise control diaphragm.
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum line question-100_0263.jpg   Vacuum line question-100_0272.jpg   Vacuum line question-100_0276.jpg  
Old 02-26-2008 | 10:27 PM

Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
You should fix the broken vacuum line, but it's much more likely you crossed some spark plug wires while replacing them. Or, so sort of problem with the wires.