Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

I just took a gas bath and i still need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008 | 08:19 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
I just took a gas bath and i still need help

Ok so ive been dealing with this constant jerk with my camaro for the last2 months, it never started happening until it got cold out, but now it doesnt matter what i do it jerks like the fuel is cutting out, I started by changing my fuel filter which was so clogged it wasnt even funny, but while i was taking it off the gas just kept pissing out of the lines, i even popped my gas cap and it kept on flowing out the lines, and straight down my arm and all over me... after that sweet experience i got it all changed and took it for a spin hoping that was it, but unfortunately it wasnt. The jerk is less severe and i can still power through it, could it still be my fuel? The filter seemed to be breaking down so is it possible i have crap in my lines?? I really need help this is getting ridiculous i tried changing my plugs and wires, and my alternator because they all needed to be fixed, so i know its not spark, plus i've got a strong feeling its fuel only because its not a constant jerk, its sporadic and comes and goes, normally it hits around 50-60mph so i know its range, under 50, im fine, over 60, its rare.

If ANYONE has ANY info on what the heck this could be can you let me know? Thanks in advance
Old 01-06-2008 | 08:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 04 Silverado
Engine: 4.8
Transmission: auto
Re: I just took a gas bath and i still need help

My bet is clogged injectors, try running a can of sea foam through the system
Old 01-06-2008 | 09:02 PM

I was having the same problem sorta. I got my GTA, and whenever 'i did a donut, or drifted a turn' coming out of the donut, or turn it would lose nearly all power, and bog down to like 1,000 RPM. I ran some inject/fuel line cleaner through it, problem solved. I plan on replacing mine, because after 19 years, and 160,000 miles... you would think they'd need to be replaced, or rebuilt
Old 01-06-2008 | 09:10 PM

Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel

The techron injector cleaner is supposed to work pretty good. Never had clogged injectors but I run some every so often for good measure.

Other than that, you can dump a can of seafoam in the tank too, or B-12 chemtool. Or maybe all of them lol.
Old 01-06-2008 | 09:28 PM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: ford 9" w/4.11

I had about the same thing happen to mine. It would idle, but if you put it into drive it would die. I changed the fuel filter, and had the same thing happen were the gas would not quit flowing out of the supply line no matter what I did. I found out that it ended up being the little piece of rubber fuel line that connects the fuel pump to the feed line inside the tank had become spongy and had a hole in the side. The fuel pump would run, but it would dump the fuel back into the tank. Ended up replacing the pump with a walbro 255 pump since I had the tank down anyways! Hope this may be of some help.
Old 01-06-2008 | 11:05 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

so my best bet would be to replace my injectors? i weas planning to do it, but alot further down the road, but if thats the case ill get on it lol, i ran the seafoam thru it a while ago and forgot about it and im thinking that it could have contrributed to my filter being so clogged, because any crap in my tank would have gotten hung up in that filter correct? and another thing, if i replace my injectors, wouldnt it be smart to attempt to flush the lines in case theres anything floating around?
Old 01-07-2008 | 03:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10

I'd start with checking the fuel pressure. With gauge installed tape it to your windshield and take it for a ride and watch your fuel pressure when the problem occurs. If the pressure's falling I'd look toward the fuel pump. If not I'd then I'd suspect the injectors. Either way running injector cleaner through it isn't a bad idea.
Old 01-07-2008 | 10:03 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

good deal, im picking up some seafoam tommorrow but you know i still dont understand why the cold triggered this problem
Old 01-08-2008 | 04:26 AM
Supreme Member

If you're running TBI like it says in your info, I seriously doubt the injectors need replacing. It's VERY rare for them to ever go bad like they do on the tuned port systems. Just try some good quality injector cleaner in the tank. I usually put a full bottle in with only about 1/3 tank of gas. That way it's a pretty strong concentration. While it's possibly a fuel problem, you ought to take a look at your ignition system too. You might have a bad plug wire that's arcing intermittently. Pop the hood at night with the motor running, disconnect the underhood light, and see if you can spot anything arcing anywhere. Btw, checking fuel pressure is a major PITA on a TBI system too, since there's no schrader valve anywhere in the system to hook a pressure gauge to.

Last edited by Pat Hall; 01-08-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2008 | 01:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10

if you think the injectors are clogged and its tbi why not remove the air cleaner and look at the spray pattern?
Old 01-08-2008 | 01:56 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro and 1996 Mustang GT
Engine: 350 4bbl/281
Transmission: 700R4/4R70W
Axle/Gears: 9" rear/8.8" 4.10

it is most likely fuel related, but here is a remote chance. my engine on my camaro was cutting out at higher rpms and bogging and it ended up being two frayed wires in my ignition because it wasnt getting a good solid spark.

all i can really say is to check for good spark thorought the rpm band. it doesnt take long and it can eliminate a few things.

definitely get a fuel pressure gauge or fuel pressure regulator. they arent that expensive at discount auto.
Old 01-08-2008 | 07:31 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

just did the wires, cant see any arcing, plus if it was the wires it would happen while in neutral, whereas i can rev my engine to redline and no cut outs, the draw is on fuel because its requiring more and more the faster i go, spark is the same in every gear. The injectors arent clogged, but they did spit out some crap when i ran seafoam thru it, im gonna do it again to be sure. Since i know its a fuel problem, my only option left is my pump. I talked to my dads friend whos a tech at a local shop and explained it to him and asked if it could be my pump. He said it sounds about right because the fuel filter was so jammed it wasnt allowing fuel through, so if the pump was working at higher than the normal rate because the ecu was demanding more fuel, it must have been worn out from overuse. Plus its a 19 year old car, it should be on its way out, we're gonna do a fuel pressure test this week to confirm it though
Old 01-09-2008 | 05:53 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

So anyone know why the cold set it off??