Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Power Steering 'Pressure' problem ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008 | 07:53 AM

Power Steering 'Pressure' problem ???

Hi,

Just dropped a new lump in my 84 Camaro, bolted everything on just fine. The annoying bit is that the power steering kept blowing off one of the lines.

Due to necessity, I had to modify the bottom hose (the hose with the fixed metal connectors on each end with the formed / crimped rubber hose in the middle) as the rubber was perishing big time.

So I cut the rubber part out of the pipe and inserted suitable pressure pipe and clamped with jubilee clips. The problem is that at idle the hose would be blown off at the pump end. Just prior to this happening, the steering wheel would 'creep' round clockwise a little bit.

So after the first time, I decided to completely (as best I could) get all the fluid out of the steering box (connect up 2 hoses and run into a bucket, turn steering wheel lock to lock a few times) and start again. Still failed .
Second attempt wasn't to bad (it laster about 1 minute more), however before starting the engine, I just wound it over to 'move' the fluid in the pump. Checked level, topped up, started engine. Still failed

Same symptoms on all three attempts - steering wheel creep the 'POP' off comes the hose. I did notice that the fluid was a little aerated all three times.

Finally I took everything off, checked fittings / fixings on pump, drained steering box again, put back together, added fluid. Wound engine over, topped up fluid level. Started engine.

Fouther time lucky (I hope) there was no aeration in fluid and no creep on steering wheel. I haven't moved it lock to lock yet as I don't wanna blow the line off again (getting tired of cleaning up p/s fluid off nice new shiny engine !).

The pump was working a treat on the old engine and was only left for a couple of days whilst old engine out and new one in.

Does anyone know what is / was happening here ? I don't want to get a new pump unless I have to as they are not cheap here in the UK !!
Old 01-04-2008 | 08:35 AM

Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Power Steering 'Pressure' problem ???

With the P/S pressure north of 1200 psi, I can see why the line pops off. Once a new line is installed to bleed it:

Lift vehicle so both front tires are off the ground. Add fluid, start engine, and SLOWLY turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times (gentle against the locks). Shut off engine, check and add fluid if required. If was really low bleed again.

RBob.
Old 01-04-2008 | 08:36 AM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56

Get a new hose. They're only about $25-$30 usd.
Old 01-04-2008 | 09:18 AM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Right....

You need to buy the right hose. You will NEVER EVER get a bunch of that "rigging" to work. There's just WAY too much pressure there. That's why they're a crimped pre-made line, in the first place.

Very common parts store item here in the States. Even AutoZone, Advance, Pep Boys, etc. will have them. Should be very easy to order from someone over the Net. Or, take the remnants to a place that makes hydraulic lines for construction equipment and such; they'll be able to make something that will hold.
Old 01-04-2008 | 11:16 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the help.

The fourth time was the install of a second hand hose. I was really just wanting to make sure that all was OK.

Hopefully the bleeding is successful and hope I can take her for a spin this weekend. Will be interesting with 330 BHP on wet English roads

1200PSI seems a lot of pressure though !