Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Coolant Leaking INSIDE Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 Firebird
Engine: V6
Transmission: Automatic
Coolant Leaking INSIDE Car

Hey, guys, I've got an '88 Firebird (V6 automatic, I guess that's the not cool version), and I had it stuck in the ice so I had a friend drive it out. They also had to give the car a jump for it to start up.

I didn't watch the driving out process, but the next time I went to start the car, I found some neon liquid on the floor mat (enough that it soaked clean through) and I was about to put the hurt on something for spilling soda in my car when I realized that it was coolant fluid... from the engine.

The coolant container is pretty much empty, so from these two points, I'm going to guess there's a leak going on.

I'm a complete car newbie (I have a good excuse to be, though, so please don't be mean), but I'm guessing a hose or something.

Are there any diagrams or tutorials I can look at to figure out how to fix this problem?

Any help would be really appreciated. I'm trying to wrap my head around basic car literacy.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Coolant Leaking INSIDE Car

Very extremely common and ordinary (unfortunately) thing that goes wrong with old cars in general. Equally commonly and unfortunately, these cars are no exception to the rule.

It's the heater core. It has sprung a leak. Kind of like a little radiator up under the dash, that takes engine heat via the coolant, and warms the passenger cabin with it.

Do a search on "heater core". You'll find out everything you need to know. The part costs about $25-30, but it's in a location that will make you feel like that was the first part they set on the production line, and then they built a car around it. It takes me longer to change that out in one of these cars than it does to swap a motor in one. In fact, I think it takes almost 3 hours if I stop every 10 minutes or so for cold ones. Truly brutal. But that's the way it goes.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the quick info! Is it something a newbie can tackle, or should I just bite the bullet and take it to the shop?
Old 12-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.

Depends on your level of mechanical inclination.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:34 PM

Hm, I have no mechanical inclination, but I have plenty of free time, I don't use the car to commute to work (hurray, freelancing), and would *really* like to become mechanically inclined.

But I only have on-street parking, so maybe not the best idea to fiddle around. I also don't have any heavy duty equipment if I'd need to do something extreme.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

What have you learned so far from your search? Does it seem like something you can handle? I can't feature how it wouldn't; even if you have to buy all the tools, it's still FAR less than you'll have to pay somebody to do it for you, and it's not too much more invasive than putting a radio in is sometimes.

I'm not sure about whatever this "take it to a shop" business means. If that's what you have to do, then maybe old cars aren't the right program for you. This is a HOBBY, for people who like to PARTICIPATE, not those who pay somebody else to do all the participation for them. Unless of course, you have enough money to be like the Vette guys, who go and pay $50,000 for a car, and THEN pay a shop to do everything for them TOO, and it's not a big deal to them. Most of us here aren't like that. (speaking strictly for myself)

Last edited by sofakingdom; 12-24-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
I'm not sure about whatever this "take it to a shop" business means. If that's what you have to do, then maybe old cars aren't the right program for you. This is a HOBBY, for people who like to PARTICIPATE, not those who pay somebody else to do all the participation for them.

Well said, Sofa! Inspiring, too. Guess I'll get back to my reading up. When I'm a bona fide car buff, I'll come back and thank you.

Can't find anything on my model specifically, is this guide close enough?

http://car.justanswer.com/questions/...dle-antifreeze

EDIT to add: Also, is coolant on the carpet bad? Should I go out this very second and scrub like crazy at what's left of my puddle lest something horrible happen?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 80 SE/TTA;88 T/A GTA;86 T/A
Engine: 4.9L Turbo; LT1; empty
Transmission: TH350; T56; empty
Axle/Gears: 3:23 disk; 4:10 disk ; 3.42 disk

whats there is there...and there will probably be more...you can, wouldn't be bad, but i would leave a towel out there to hopefully catch more...

get a haynes manual or chiltons or something of that nature, it is a WONDERFUL tool for someone such as yourself. It has brought me to knowing what i know, but i also had a little technical back ground with cars. Anyways, it will give you the step by step procedures to tackle such a project, and leave you with an end result to be proud of yourself for. As far as model specific, EVERY SINGLE f-body to my knowledge shared the same concept of having a heater core inside the car, and used primarily the same lines. Every v6 from 82-84 were the same, every v6 from 85-90 were the same, and every v6 from 91-92 was the same, so it should be pretty general...all were the same other than the size or fuel system they used.

If you do go and have a shop do it, tell them that if they want your business, you want to watch...so that you can learn. If they tell you you can't, tell them thank you and go to the next shop. It would actually be worth the money for them to do the work, if you were to learn something instead of sitting in the waiting room. just my

Good Luck!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:59 PM

Car: 85z-28
Engine: gm goodwrench 350
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: stock, 3.08 one wheel peel!

well if ur in a warmer part of the country you can bypass the heater core, so that u dont have a leak in the car. take the two coolant hoses (on the passenger side of engine compartment, to the right of the a/c) going into the firewall and connect the two ends to bypass the heater core. i used a piece of copper tubing and pipe clamps untill i was knowledgable enough to change the heater core. it will buy u plenty of time to get things done right. when the new heater core is put the two hoses back in their proper spot.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:15 AM

Hey guys, I got the Haynes manual for my car, very neat! I've read the section on dismantling the dash stuff to get to the heater core, and it seems pretty extreme, but also extremely educational.

Do I just need a screwdriver and lots of free time, or do I need more specialized tools? I don't have a garage, so I'm thinking everything for the job is going to have to fit inside the car so I don't have pieces of my car strewn all over the street (I'm thinking critical screws and bolts falling downhill would be a disaster)...

Is that a crazy setup, or do others work on their cars sans garage?

Also, is there an easy way to remember where everything was when I try to put it back together again?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: '82 Recaro T/A, '71 Trans Am
Engine: 305CFI/455HO
Transmission: TH700R4/M22
Axle/Gears: 3.23/3.42

3rd-gens are very easy to replace the heater core. Its one of the few things the enginneers thought about for serviceablity. There is an access panel on the heater box.

1. Disconnect the heaters hoses from the heater core in the engine compartment.
2. Remove underdash hush panel on the passenger side.
3. Remove two screws that hold the computer, lower computer and set it a side.
4. Remove four screws that hold the heater box cover on. You'll need a long extension for one of the top screws. Use your fingers or a flashlight and mirror to locate the upper screws. You can also remove the upper padded dash panel to make it a little easier to see.
5. Remove lower right hand dash to cowl mounting screw.
6. Flex out the bottom of the dash and remove the heater core access panel.
7. Remove the couple screws that hold the heater core and pull the heater core out.

Reverse for installation.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:07 PM

Car: 89 CAmaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.45

HEy!
i just did a heater core in my 89 camaro yesterday, and it didnt take a very long time. i was definetely done in 2 hours(the first time ive ever done a heater core). Yes, you will need little bit of patience, and you can do it on the street. you dont need a bunch of tools, because every screw is a 7mm, and maybe couple of phillips screws in the side panel. Might be a good idea to do it with a friend, so he can help you align heater core, when its ready to go back in.
Its very easy to remember how it goes back in, so you wont be guessing for hours.

Its not as hard as you think it is, its just one of those time consuming stuff.

Good Luck!