Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Drivers Door Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI L-98, Headers, Flowmaster
Transmission: 700R4 w/shift kit
Axle/Gears: Stock, I think...
Drivers Door Help

Hello,

Just received a new drivers window (glass) and was going to replace old broken one. Car has power windows. Haynes manual says nothing about replacing window except for "this procedure is beyond the scope of the home mechanic"! Say WHAT???

Why is this? I can't see spending money when I know I could replace myself. Is there any tips anyone could lend for helping me in my quest? You know, things to watch out for, to do, or not to do, etc...

I did a search on this subject and could only find one other post asking this question with no reply.

Thanks for any info...
Old 12-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 191 Likes on 162 Posts
Re: Drivers Door Help

^ Not hard to do, just time consuming, and it can be a PITA. Just be sure to remove everything carefully (interior/weather stripping wise), do not pull stuff apart out of frustration. Once everything is off, it'll become very prevalent as to how easy it really is.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:54 PM

Hey thanks for the reply friend,

Main reason I ask is in the manual, under Door Window Regulator, it says reason its best left to a professional is because of the "extreme danger" involved in handling the regulator lift arm, which is under is under tension from the counterbalance spring on motor driven models.

Is this something I will encounter when replacing window? I will upload a few pictures of window for any references.

When ever I take something apart like this, (something I have never done before), I take pictures as I disassemble to aide in the reinstallation process. I replaced my head gaskets using this method and car runs great. So I feel a window should be a piece of cake.

Until I read the words, "extreme danger"...lol Just wondering if and when I should expect to encounter this danger.

Thanks again for any info.
Attached Thumbnails Drivers Door Help-img_0001.jpg   Drivers Door Help-img_0002.jpg   Drivers Door Help-img_0003.jpg  
Old 12-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 80 SE/TTA;88 T/A GTA;86 T/A
Engine: 4.9L Turbo; LT1; empty
Transmission: TH350; T56; empty
Axle/Gears: 3:23 disk; 4:10 disk ; 3.42 disk

if you think about it...some people may not use their head, and try and take the regulator/motor out with the window up...while it might be easier to manage the regulator in some ways, if that window drops on your fingers...yea not good...anyways, i did a manual window to power window swap, each door was about an hour...and i had never really done it before, i've taken regulators out, but never put them back in, and i peeled the door shell off (door was already rotted) so that i could get the window and regulator out easy, so i never did everything in the door before till now. Like i said took me about an hour for each door, and i'm about to do it again so.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:41 PM

Well, still need some help here.

I got the door panel off but don't know how to get the old window (or whats left of window) out of the guides or track. All thats left of window is the metal track and roller.

There is a vertical track (sorta near rear of door) that a roller from the window rides in. Then there is a scissor looking thing (looks like a small scissor jack) with small rollers on each end that ride in a horizontal track thats mounted to window.

I have door panel off, small rubber triangle (behind mirror) off, and outer window seal. Also took off two inner furry guides on inner part of door.

I tried to finagle track off in the up and down positions. Messed with it for an hour or so. Can't seem to get it off or even see how it would come off. Thinking I could just hack it off but still would have to get new one back on.

Any help would be great.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:21 PM

Anybody?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 80 SE/TTA;88 T/A GTA;86 T/A
Engine: 4.9L Turbo; LT1; empty
Transmission: TH350; T56; empty
Axle/Gears: 3:23 disk; 4:10 disk ; 3.42 disk

you need to remove the regulator and motor from the door to get that track off...and that track needs to be rivited to the new door glass if you don't already have a track on that glass. That is why they suggest a glass shop do this because it's not all that easy. I personally don't know if you can mount the track to the window and then put it in the door, everytime i've tried to take one out still mounted i coudln't figure it out without tearing apart the door, so you may need to re-rivit it to the glass while it's inside the door, then you are going to need to re-install the regulator/motor

that scissor looking thing is your regulator, it's mounted to the motor. To get the regulator uninstalled you need to drill out the 4 rivits holding it in, then move it around and position it to get all the rollers out of the guides so that you can fully get the regulator out to have the max room. Get the glass track out of there, slide the new glass in, rivit the bar to the glass, and then reinstall the regulator. It's not terribly easy, when i said it was easy i missed the part that you were installing new glass. Swapping regulators or replacing motors isn't difficult, but i personally haven't done new glass. That part of it doesn't appear to be all that simple, unless your new glass already has the guide on it, and then i don't know how to get it into the door. Past all that i think i've explained it how it needs to be done...if you go to your local auto supply store they may be able to help you out with the rivits and what not, but personally i'd be hesitant about riviting glass. As far as the rivits for the regulator, i just go to my local pontiac dealer and they got a crap load...they are called regulator/actuator rivits, they are made for the power windows regulators and the power lock actuators.
----------
ok again i do a horible job at reading past posts...it appears you have the track already on the window...you just need to uninstall your regulator by drillling out the 4 rivitis so that you can move the arms around to get it out of that track...then you should be able to get the new glass in there...from there it's just re-installing the regulator with new rivits...should be pretty self evident...any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by 84redta; 12-26-2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-26-2007, 10:35 PM

All the track stuff is already riveted on new window. Scroll up to one of my previous post as I took a few pictures of new eBay window. Don't know how they got window out. Thinking they just hacked what ever they needed off. Don't know. Would hate to hack track off track on new window if I didn't have to. I was wondering how I was going to get window roller through small door slit. Thanks for your info...
----------
Oh, ok... Will have to wait till tomorrow. Need to get to bed. Got my 8 year old boy Guitar Hero III for Xmas I'm and having trouble breaking away from PS2. Whole family is obsessed with this game...lol

Last edited by L98 Uh_Oh; 12-26-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost