Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel pump issue (Cannot get rig to start) Please help the newbie!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007 | 09:03 PM

Car: 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Engine: AMC 360 + EBL CLassic w/TBI
Transmission: Tourqueflite 727 (AMC bolt pattern)
Fuel pump issue (Cannot get rig to start) Please help the newbie!!

Greetings everyone,

First off let me say that this board has been one of the most useful resources that I have encountered. I am new to the board. I just adapted my 89 grand wagoneer to TBI. I am having an issue with the fuel pump. The fuel pump is not getting any power for some reason or another. The power in wire for the relay is active. But the tan and white wire (Power out) that leads to the fuel pump is not getting power for some reason or another. I have tested the wiring leading from the relay to the computer and all the connections and wiring are intact and after testing with a multimeter they are true conections. I purchased a new fuel pump relay and replaced it with another new one but still the same problem. I have put ether in the Throttle body and cranked it and it fires up no trouble at all. For some reason it is not getting fuel. I tested the pump and the pump works. What am I missing? IS there something else that I might have missed? I did install a painless wiring harness so maybe the pinouts were incorrect or something? I am using computer 1227747. I have heard that if the oil pressure switch is not functioning correctly that the TBI injection wont fire. ( I had to extencd some of my wiring and I had to use a quickie soldering iron so maybe I need to go back over some of the solder jobs and see if they are tried and true.) what do you all think? could one of the other sensors or something else be affecting the fuel pump power wire? What am I missing?

Maybe there is something I didnt do in the computer (Program) that needs to be done. What do you all think??
Old 12-23-2007 | 10:54 PM

Re: Fuel pump issue (Cannot get rig to start) Please help the newbie!!

If this is a camaro setup harnes and such there were alot of them that had a fuse right by the battery that controled the ecm to the fuel pump relay that could have blown this would be a orange and black wire leading to it. Good luck
Old 12-28-2007 | 11:21 PM

Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 10 bolt 3:42 POSI

check to make sure you are getting spark at your plugs. they wont shoot fuel if you are not getting spark either.
Old 12-29-2007 | 02:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88' IROCZ
Engine: 388 TPI Motown 350 Race block
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Not sure about your harness, but the stock harness allows the furl pump relay and the oil pressure switch to supply power to the fuel pump in parallel.
have you applied 12v to the tan/wht wire to test the pump?

Fuel Pump Relay coil:
Terminal "B" blk/wht wire is grounded
Terminal "C" grn/wht wire is 12v powered by the ECM.

Apply 12v to the terminal "C" to test the relay, disconnect the ECM just to be on the safe side.

Does the SES light flash when testing for codes? If not the ECM won't energize the relay (well, on my 1227165 it won't.)