Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

My car is jerking like crazy...help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
My car is jerking like crazy...help!

Ok i was driving down the road a few days ago and my car just jerked like i had an intense misfire, i did a search and found others asaying it had aomething to do with their temp, mine however, isnt affected by temp that i can tell,k i just got off work like 10 minutes ago and i figured i'd let it warm up, i shut the heating off and started the car, warmed it up to the normal temp, and left i started to shift throught the gears the faster i went at a normal accfeleration, then in late fourth and into 5th it jerked! so i kept going and it did it again, i'm pretty troubled by this and i hope i have it pinned, when i bought my car the alternator was so so, almost crapping out, the other day i was driving and the alternator stopped charging my system, the guage read in the red zone, so i pulled over and checked my battery with a voltmeter and it was reading at 12.78, normal reading, so i kept going, then the jerks became more frequent, and eventually faded, then the other day my buddy decides to spray me with a hose while i'm working under the hood and got the alternator wet, so i let it dry out by putting a fan by it for 2 hours, and it started right up, i know my alternator is shot and i need a new one, thats for sure, but my question is

1. Do you think the sputtering is a misfire because my alternator isn't pumping enough juice to run the tbi and provide a sufficent spark?

2. For anyone who has experienced this, what was your problem/solution?

*NOTE* THe temps have chagned drasticly in az, from hot days and warm nights to warm-ish days and cold nights

Last edited by BluFBdy; 12-09-2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Missing info
Old 12-09-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 auburn limited slip
Re: My car is jerking like crazy...help!

I have exactly the same problem... It all started when I had a V6 in my car, it would accelerate just fine, but when running constant RPM it would jerk pretty badly. Today I have a 305 with a carburetor rather then fuel injection. I basically got all new parts: distributer, fuel pump, battery, alternator, wires, spark plugs, transmission, everything... BUT, lately the car started do the same thing again. The thing is if I stay in neutral and just hold it at like 2000-3000 RPM it does not do it, but if I drive it starts to jerk bad, but the rpm gauge does not jump around though. At this point the only thing I can think of, is that power wire shorts out somewhere, so when I get home from college, I will test it by hooking up my battery directly to distributer. Also I think it could be a fuel delivery problem, but still does not make sense, because wouldn't it affect my acceleration as well? One thing I am really considering right now is my rear end. Before I got a car it had some one did a really crappy job, and the axle makes this whining nose when I drive, I know its going out, its just a matter of time. This winter I am putting different one in with eaton posi and all new gears see is that solves anything. I am just running out of ideas whet it could be that causes this jerk.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

well i havent had any problems pointing to the rear end on my car, but i really think it's a mixture of the plugs not firing because of a lack of power, and the fuel pump not being able to work at full capacity for the same reason because correct me if im wrong, but in 5th you're pumping out a conserable amount of fuel, so if my alternator cant provide the juice, the car cant run off the battery, i'd misfire
Old 12-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Anyone???? i need some feedback asap before i drop $100 for a new one
Old 12-10-2007, 03:06 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 auburn limited slip

Does, anybody have any suggestions? I don't want to be annoying, but it makes me so mad, that I don't know what could cause this
Old 12-10-2007, 06:47 PM

Car: 85 camaro z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: auto to manaul

was ur gas tank realy low on gas? like 1/4 empty?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

nope, full tank and it's still jerking, im buying a new alternator from jegs and getting some new plug wires because the boots on mine are looking a bit frayed so if it fixes it i'll let you guys know......i really hope it does
Old 12-11-2007, 05:24 AM

alright, i own a 1987 camaro rs ... and a 1993 saturn SL1. my camaro has never done anything like this, but my saturn did have this same problem. only when i had the pedal halfway down and at a constant 2,500 rpm-3,00rpm it would jerk around right before it would shift (auto tranny). that saturn is just a in-line 4 cylinder. i replaced the 4 spark plugs and it cured my problem just fine. of course on this particular saturn there is NO distrubutor, only a sensor that will electronically tell the plugs when to fire. anywayz those old plugs i pulled out of my saturn look beat to hell. try replacing ur spark plugs and get back to me...
Old 03-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Car: 92 rs
Engine: 305 boat anchor
Transmission: t5

if your gonna do an alternator id go ahead and replace the plugs and wires, if not the cap and rotor too, but thats just me. my car kinda does the same thing, but i have a msd ignition box which i wanna take off. mines weird though, when the engine is cold and i hold the throttle steady at like 1/4 throttle, it'll get to the max rpm for what that much throttle will allow then start bucking like its only fireing on half the cylinders, after it warms up, there is at least one misfireing all the time, but runs better. i know i need plug wires on my car, but something i read in another thread is that platnum plugs could be bad for this car (or maybe improper would be a better word) but when i was cleaning out my car i found a couple boxes of platnum plugs (old spark plugs were in it, so the guy who owned it before me must have done a tune up of sorts) and there was a reciept for them as well within the last 6 months. im at about my wits end too cause im constantly fixing something on this car lately, but it also seems to run pretty rich. i can smell it in the exhaust, but i also have no cat, just a cherry bomb that ends under the passenger seat (also already like that when i bought the car and something i plan on changing soon) so i was wondering if this could be the cause of some of my woes? i just realized i may be hijacking this thread and i apologize, but it kinda seemed like the same thing.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 GTA/93 S13/91 Si
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

fuel pump.. MAF.. <---thats wut was wrong with mine..maybe urs to
Old 03-27-2010, 12:55 PM

Car: 92 rs
Engine: 305 boat anchor
Transmission: t5

i didnt think of the maf, i know the fuel pump is fine in my car, in fact it runs rich, however i believe the maf has the vaccum line unhooked right now (small engine fire took it out, need to get to the junk yard to get another) but is the maf that little black box on the firewall with the green connector goin to it? otherwise though, before all that, it still had a misfire to it, but come to think of it, not as bad as now. thanks, i planned on fixing that when i got time, just never put 2 and 2 together lol.