Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

FREE cam sellection software

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FREE cam sellection software

http://www.compcams.com/Camquest/default.asp

comp cams is now offering a free cam sellection software,THIS IS A USEFUL TOOL, this is useful in seeing the lift/duration/LCA they suggest for your application, in most cases they get fairly close so its a tool thats useful, now you don,t necessarily need to buy a COMP CAM but a cam with a similar lift/duration/LCA from your favorite manufacturer probably should be fairly close to whats recommended

willing to spend a few bucks ,want far more detailed results and a program requireing FAR more detailed input??

http://www.auto-ware.com/software/eap/eap.htm

Last edited by grumpyvette; 12-05-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:58 PM

Re: FREE cam sellection software

Interesting toy. Looks a lot like Desktop Dyno, probably is based on it.

Looks like I picked the right cam even though the guy on the phone was trying to steer me away from it
Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 AM

"HEY GRUMPYVETTE!,Interesting that it says going to a single plane wouldn't hurt my tq. curve it would also raise my peak tq. by 20 and give me 40 hp."

software simulations are only as good as the data paramiters used, and its RARE for a single plane to best a good dual plane intake below about 5500rpm, in tq or hp so keep that in mind!

your looking to increase the AVERAGE hp/tq more than the PEAK hp/tq if you want a fast car!
Ive seen a 20hp gain in PEAK hp on a 496 BBC resulting from a single plane intake swap from a good dual plane intake slow the cars 1/4 mile times over two tenths of a second, your gearing, suspension, traction,power to weight ratio and AVERAGE RPM band has a huge effect on the TOTAL performance.
the only way youll know if the software guess is correct is TESTING the parts on YOUR particular combo,in the real world

BTW
this software

http://www.auto-ware.com/software/eap/eap.htm

is a P.I.T.A. to use but its is usually far closer to correct, and when you make a bad choice in components it points out the flaws and suggests where you can improve the combo
Old 12-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1996 Vette / 1992 GSX1100F Suzuki
Engine: 1996 Corvette Coupe 388 LT1 (+.060)
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.07

Thanks for that, Grumpy.

When I ran the program it recommended the exact same cam I'm running the 12-467-8

Jake