Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What hoses do I need for my car to run?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LG4-V8
Transmission: A3
Axle/Gears: 3.23
What hoses do I need for my car to run?

I am about to replace the valve cover gaskets, so I was wondering what hoses can i take off. I don't need to pass emissions or anything like that. I just want a basic engine.

Thank you,
Brian Joiner
Old 11-01-2007, 06:20 PM

Car: Camaro RS
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: manual
Re: What hoses do I need for my car to run?

are you suggesting that your missing hoses or whats going on here? you have a breather hose from your intake that runs to your power breaks, um another on the drivers side that runs to your throttle body unit i believe, and one on the pass side that runs to your air intake i believe, im not 100% on that but thats it IIRC. now theres coolant lines that run along the top of your pass. side valve cover that run to your heater regulator valve, those you need. unless your gonna do a heater regulator valve delete. as far as i know, thats about it.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:39 AM

Car: 1982 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LG4-V8
Transmission: A3
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Thank you, no I'm not missing hoses, i have a lot of hoses, and I want to get rid of everything, except for what is absolutely necessary to make the engine run.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
You'd be best advised to leave everything on if you don't know what it does. Eliminating something is likely to cause unexpected consequences if you don't understand the functions. If a hose is in poor condition, replace it.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS, 84 El Camino conquista RIP
Engine: 5.0 (for now)
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.xx torsen limited slip & 3.42 ope

well i have done this twice and it has effects on other things. problems, no tq. con. lock up and dizzy carb don't work. I don't know your exact setup but if you have to know i'm only suggesting if you get in trouble i take no responsibility, feds get mad when you do it.

okay here is what i bought. 1 replaced carb to an early quadrajet. 2. got a dizzy with vac. advance. and no computer stuff. bought EGR block off. New thermo housing

Then i began to strip and throw away. i did this on two 84 model so they might have more. I first took off my pollution pump ( i mean it fell off and i never put it back on). Then i removed all the brackets for it.
Then i i cut all the pollution hoses and plugged the ends that connect to the manifolds. (it's best to just get headers and clear those out too.)
then i replaced the t stat housing and cut the wires except the temp. Next i removed the EGR and installed the block off plate.
Now i did this only on my 84 El Camino so i'm not sure if it's f body compatible. I literally grabbed the ECM wire loom and cut all the wires right next to the firewall. Then i pulled out the ECM. Next trace all those wires to where they go and snip them off. I also got rid of the charcoal canister by routing the line directly into the return line. Then i pulled the AC (which never worked) including all the wiring and the tank and condenser. I think that is all i did.

NOW i had one problem out of this whole thing. I never got the tq. converter lock up from the aftermarket and i burned it up. Other than that it ran great!

I ran it to TX and back twice with no ill effect and trust me i beat the heck out of that car!!

but remember i did not tell you to do it but how.