Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car Won't Start Anymore

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007 | 10:11 PM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 305 4bbl
Transmission: 5spd
Car Won't Start Anymore

Hi, I just bought an 87 Trans Am. I have attached a picture of my engine.

I am not sure how long the car has sat, but I think it had been a while. I topped up the fluids.

When I went to start it, I had to use a friend's car and another battery (didn't seem to start with just one for some reason). It turned over slow, and eventually started going. I noticed some white 'smoke' in around the headers that would come and go. I contributed this to having sat for a while.

I ran the car sitting there for about 45 minutes and noticed the engine temperature was around 115 and the pressure was in the middle of the gauge (do not remember what the actual number was). It felt like it was running hot (not that that means very much).

I shut the car off and it dieseled (which always sounds painful) and it eventually stopped. I put some new gas in it and tried to start it with two cars. It did not start.

What would happen:
-the engine would turn over slowly until battery showed 0v and it would turn over very slowly
-there would be some white puff of 'smoke' that would come out the carb after i stopped turning the key (or took my foot off the clutch - not sure which).

Now, I know the timing is off and I know I have problems galore here. What my question is, is do you think that this issue is soley a timing issue or do you think I could have ruined gaskets (and now hydrolocked) or something else.

I wish I could give you some more information, but I got the car cheap with very little details and it is not located close to me.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Jordan
Attached Thumbnails Car Won't Start Anymore-8644_20.jpg  
Old 10-25-2007 | 10:47 PM

Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Looks like a butcher job. Has a non-computer-controlled carb with what appears to be a computer control distributor. That won't "cause" what you're describing, but it will keep it from running correctly.
Old 10-25-2007 | 11:12 PM

Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 10 bolt 3:42 POSI
Re: Car Won't Start Anymore

Thats not a computer controlled Dizzy. 115 is not hot it probaly has at least a 120 thermostat in it. I would start by draing the fuel tank and replacing the filter, buy a new battery, change not top off the oil. Pull the plugs out and atleast clean them up and regap them. Do a compression test, that will tell you the real condition of this motor.
Old 10-25-2007 | 11:42 PM

Thanks cooter26, I will go ahead and start on those tomorrow.

The oil gage goes up to 130 if it makes any difference, and it was half way from 100 to 130.

And just to make sure, I was told it was a new carb, is it incompatable as five7kid said or in any other way?

Thanks for your quick replies
Old 10-25-2007 | 11:52 PM

Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 10 bolt 3:42 POSI

Five7 has a lot of great post, listen to what he says. Yes i agree it is a computer controlled carb so if you were going to put some $ into this car i would get a Holley or Edelbrock, but you should be able to drive on that for a while. By oil gauge i assume u mean oil temp with those #s? Also looking at the pic again, check the plug wires and wires from the battery to starter for burns and melted wires. Could be grounding out from being burnt up by the headers.
Old 10-26-2007 | 06:14 AM

Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Okay, let's back up (at least, let me back up).

I missed the Canada part. Canadian LG4's didn't have computer controls (typically). So, that may not be an issue. But, it doesn't look like the stock Canadian LG4 carb, either, missing the accelerator pump control solenoid. So, that may not be the issue. That isn't a computer controlled carb, at any rate.

However, I don't see the vacuum advance on the distributor, that's what I meant by being a computer controlled distributor. Might just be the view in the picture provided - does it have a vacuum advance or not?

The hose on the fuel line is what set me off - most likely the result of twisting the line trying to remove it while not holding the inlet nut on the carb. The wires outside of the harness was another warning sign - might not be a problem, just looks sloppy. Also don't see a wire on the electric choke - again, not why it isn't starting, but you will need that in order for it to run properly.

Okay, what's wrong with it? Timing is critical, get that set right. Hard to do with the engine not running, but at least try to get it set properly. The white puff of smoke out of the carb isn't a concern - happens when a car doesn't start.

Get the battery charged up.
Old 10-26-2007 | 09:34 AM

I will look into everything.

Thanks very much for the help!

I'll post again if I find anything out, maybe you can help again.

Thanks again,
-Jordan
Old 11-09-2007 | 04:11 PM

Hey, I screwed up. When I bought it, I was told it was an 87, but when I got the ownership, it turned out to be an 86. Does that change any of the advice you have given me? Working on the car on Monday.

(Actually, I am pretty sure it is still an LG4, now that I read the info page, should have read it before I posted)

Last edited by sh00k; 11-09-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2007 | 07:10 PM

Car: 87 sport coupe, 85 Z28, 93 S10
Engine: 179ci MPFI,LG4 (soon L98), 4.3L TBI
Transmission: 700r4, none (soon T56), 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock, 3.23, stock

since it dieseled it was obviously a little flooded, I assume you pushed the pedal to the floor as hard as you could and tried to start it? that will un-flood the engine, which could be why its not starting now. Don't mean to insult you, but some people dont know about that feature.