Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Installing a Ford 9" Rear end.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a Ford 9" Rear end.

I am going to install a Ford 9" rear end onto my 1984 Camaro. The decision has been made, I don't want to hear from any naysayers please. I am going to install 4.11 gears. I am needing help in knowing what exactly I will need to do to get this done. What seals, bearings, gearing etc.? Is there an article within this website or other website I can look? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:08 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: Installing a Ford 9" Rear end.

A junkyard 9"? Not going to fit without redoing the suspension. An aftermarket bolt in 9" will come complete.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

Tsk tsk, there you are being a naysayer Stephen. He just wanted to know how well it would fit, based on the fact that he's already doing it.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sonix
Tsk tsk, there you are being a naysayer Stephen. He just wanted to know how well it would fit, based on the fact that he's already doing it.

Exactly!
Old 10-16-2007, 06:58 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Anything can be made to fit into anything with enough time and money. I originally adapted a 9" housing from a 1970 F100 but used ladder bars to eliminate the torque arm mount problem.

He just said he was going to install a 9" but never specified if it was going to be a junkyard 9" or an aftermarket housing. Based on the question about seals and bearings, I have to assume it's a junkyard diff and no knowledge of what's required to do such a diff swap like this.

No offense but too many people think they can be a mechanic. I hate seeing questions from people who have no mechanical knowledge asking questions about how to repair or modify something that only a qualified mechanic or machine shop should be doing.

How's that home self dentistry doing?

Unless you're mechanically inclined and have good mechanical knowledge, my best answer is to have it done professionally and properly by someone else who has the knowledge and proper tools. The extra cost you'll spend to have someone do it right the first time is worth it.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

Yea, I was actually poking fun there navy. Nothing wrong with using a ford 9", it's a good idea. Just be sure you know that the bearings, gears, etc (internals) in the rear end are about 20% of the work of putting in a Ford 9". The other 80% is making sure it's the right width, bolt pattern, e-brake setup, brake line setup, LCA/Panhard/coil spring/shock mounting, and most importantly --> Torque arm

Were you going to use ladder bars? That makes it slightly simpler, but still a pain.

What stage are you at now? Do you have the JY one? From what vehicle? Or is it an aftermarket housing?

We just want to make sure to give you advice on what you need to do first Whether it's buying the best bearings and gears, or throwing the too narrow housing away and finding a suitable donor rear Hate to find out after it's all built up that it won't fit right in the car eh?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen 87 IROC
No offense but too many people think they can be a mechanic. I hate seeing questions from people who have no mechanical knowledge asking questions about how to repair or modify something that only a qualified mechanic or machine shop should be doing.
I am going to take offense at this. What is the point of this thread? to get insulted by people who think they are better than others? I didn't think that is what this was but apparently I was wrong. You know, I don't know everything there is to know about cars, but excuse me, what's wrong with wanting to learn? Is that how the "qualified mechanic" got started? I asked this question because I wanted and hoped to be lead in the right direction. Instead I got insulted by some jerk who feels it's his responsibility to tell people to not to try. Give up! Don't think about it! Don't attempt anything! God forbid if I did. I'm not hurting anybody by asking these questions. Did you get hurt Stephen? I'm so sorry if you did. Jerk offs like you make me think that these message boards are a waste of time. Damn! All I wanted was some help.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: not the best not the worst

and responses like that get you NOTHING jeez thought they taught you navy men some manners... guess that is only for the marines....

BTW ripping into this swap you plan without any CLEAR IDEA on what is going on which is quite obviously what you are lacking... is the first step in the direction of failure...

the bearings and gears should be the last thing you are worrying about at this point... you know this isn't going to be an unbolt and slide in the new one right... this is going to take a bunch of thinking and some fab work... unless you are okay with a hackjob rear end... then again that sorta defeats the purpose of swapping them in the first place
Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 PM

My point is that I asked questions to help me along. Instead I got people telling me to give up! The Navy taught me to never give up.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Z/28, 89 RS Race Car
Engine: 305 stock / ZZ4 AFR 195 9.7:1
Transmission: T5 / t10 / Jerico
Axle/Gears: 10blt w 3.42, 9 in w /3.80 DL

The Navy probably trained you too.

These guys are just pointing out the pitfalls that you may encounter based on their experience and training and are tying to keep you out of a mindfield.

This install should set you back about $2,500 if done correctly.

I put in a 9 in myself and after much research went with a Currie unit (best price) with axles and bearings. I bought my gears and detroit locker from muscle motorsports (best price). I also had a drive shaft custom made. For brakes I used willwood dyna lites for a ford with big bearings. easist fit without the fuss.

This is a race only car. The rear end is the one part that I have not had any issues with.

If you do not need this piece I would spend money elsewhere first.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:18 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Here's the best help anyone can offer, providing it's still working.

You can try anything you want but you need to take initiative without having a mommy to lead you around. Advice on how to do something can be just as bad as doing your own mistakes. Get told to do something wrong then blaming that person is no excuse.

Advice is always free even if it's right or wrong. We're giving you advice and you're using ignorance and ignoring it. Yes you did ask questions to help you along but what you asked has no relevance to actually installing a 9" under your car. It's like you're assuming all diffs will just bolt right up. These are not the old leaf spring type cars where diffs swaps were easy and common. If you want to know what's involved in building a 9" differential, google.com has a wealth of information from Ford owners. If you want to know how to put a 9" under a third gen then be more specific.

Here, buy one of these and save yourself a lot of headaches and extra expenses.

http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1338