Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Signs of Running Rich or just a messed up Tach?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Unknown 9 Bolt Posi, 3.73s
Signs of Running Rich or just a messed up Tach?

My car went in for repairs about a month ago. I had my Fuel Pump, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Filter, and my injectors replaced. Instead of putting stock injectors in, he put in Accel 24# injectors. I've been told I could be running rich, if he did not tune the PROM. How can I tell if I'm running rich? Because lately I've noticed that my tachometer bounces around, like from 1k to 2k to 2.5k, and sometimes even higher. Though it doesn't make an audible difference as if I were revving that high, but I wanted to know if running rich will make my RPMs bounce, or is my wiring going bad? It does not bounce when I'm accelerating, but it will bounces if I rev it while in neutral or park.

Suppose I am running rich, what are the problems that result from it? If he did not tune my prom, should he take my car and do it or is it all on me.

Another thing I have noticed is that when I am braking my gas needle will go towards E, I don't know if that is normal for fbodies, all cars, a bad gauge, or a sign of running rich. Currently I have full tank and when I brake it will go to about 1/2 way on the gauge and then come back up after I have stopped or accelerating. Maybe my car is just crapping out on me, I've noticed also that my highbeams come on, then they take forever to switch off. It's really annoying. Is my wiring dieing on me?

By the way, the car is a '92 Z28 with a 305 TPI and 700R4, I have many mods on the car.

I don't beat on the car at all, when it first came out of the shop I peeled out a bit and rocketed up a few hills but I don't think that would be the problem would it?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Unknown 9 Bolt Posi, 3.73s
Re: Signs of Running Rich or just a messed up Tach?

Bump
Old 10-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56
Re: Signs of Running Rich or just a messed up Tach?

Going from 19lb injectors to 24lb injectors is definitely going to require a prom tune. I would be very surprised if your mechanic has the equipment to do it.
Running rich has nothing to do with your tach bouncing. It may be a good idea for you to start tracing/checking the wires for nicks. He may have hurt something when he changed your stuff.