Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What is the technical name for this? (W/ PICTURE)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
What is the technical name for this? (W/ PICTURE)

Well I blew this heater hose and I was wondering if anyone knew the tehnical name for it so when I go to the dealer I don't sound like an idiot!

By kdxrider9262, shot with Canon PowerShot SD200 at 2007-08-06
Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: What is the technical name for this? (W/ PICTURE)

Do not go to the dealer, go to an autoparts store and make them get you a "U" bend hose and cut it to fit.

It's only called a hose
Old 08-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 TPI Procharger D1SC
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.73

My needs the same exact one replaced. Ill definetly buy mine from a parts store.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Car: '86 Trans Am and '03 S-10
Engine: 355ci and 4.3l
Transmission: 700R4 and NV3500
Axle/Gears: 7.625/3.42 Auburn and 8.5/3.08 Gov-

Throttle Body Coolant Hose or Bypass Hose. Better off plugging it off..TB unit stays cooler
Old 08-06-2007, 05:31 PM

hmmm well my dad said to go to the dealer cause it will last longer than a custom bent hose......also I have my heater core already blocked off and my thermostat sensor needs replaced.....so id rather not block off yet ANOTHER area hahahha.....so I really dont know how hot my engine runs /cry
Old 08-06-2007, 05:47 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 bolt 3.27

Your best bet is to remove the hose as intact as possible and take it with you to the parts store. If you can`t find it at a parts store,try several if you need to, then go to the dealer. You really can do with out this hose, it takes minor modification to make it work. This hose warms up the throttle body in cold weather, don`t need it in summer but if you live where it gets cold, you should keep it.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:52 PM

I live in Ohio and its a hot summer.......I wont be driving it in the winter.......but Ill be driving it in the fall so Ill probably end up keeping it
Old 08-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by kdxrider9262
hmmm well my dad said to go to the dealer cause it will last longer than a custom bent hose......also I have my heater core already blocked off and my thermostat sensor needs replaced.....so id rather not block off yet ANOTHER area hahahha.....so I really dont know how hot my engine runs /cry
Unfortunately your dad is incorrect.

A hose is a hose. You think the dealer makes the hoses? hey get the hoses from the same source as the parts stores.

Take the hose to the store. You do not need to bend a hose, find a hose that is similiar and trim it to fit. $5 in and out. The dealer will probably tell you the same.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:36 PM

Car: 89' Pontiac Firebird
Engine: L03 carb Ported #87s new shortblock
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by nelapse
Unfortunately your dad is incorrect.

A hose is a hose. You think the dealer makes the hoses? hey get the hoses from the same source as the parts stores.

Take the hose to the store. You do not need to bend a hose, find a hose that is similiar and trim it to fit. $5 in and out. The dealer will probably tell you the same.

Nelapse, i can't believe your giving such shotty advice. The problem with using a 5/8" is that usually they kink under a tight bend. If he is already at the dealer or the parts store he should just go ahead and try to get the RIGHT hose. I think he would sound a whole lot less dumb than if he said "give me something like that, or whatever I'll make it work." There is absoloutley nothing wrong about being picky and getting the RIGHT part.

Kdxrider, don't worry about what they think of you. I used to work in the parts business and I saw this happen all the time. Just tell them you need the hose that runs from the intake manifold to the throttle body for a (insert your car here). If you really want to impress them though, bring in the hose and that picture. Then you can make sure 100% that you have the correct hose.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

A hose is a hose is a hose is a hose. For the most part... They tend to come from a VERY short list of suppliers. Goodyear, Dayco, Gates, not a whole lot of others. GM doesn't make hoses, they buy them from one of the hose mfrs, same as you.

Go to the parts store. Tell them you want a throttle body coolant hose for your car. If they don't list it, tell them you want a pre-bent 5/8" hose with a 180°. If they still give you a blank stare, tell them you want to go look at their hoses hanging on the wall, and you'll just pick one. Lots and lots of cars use all manner of bizarre pre-bent hoses; you shouldn't have any trouble finding a suitable one that will work. If you can't find the EXACT one, get one that's got one of the legs too long, and cut it to length.

A chunk of just regular straight heater hose won't work. It'll kink. Needs to be a pre-bent or "formed" or "molded" one.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:54 PM

yeh thanks man, I was worried about it kinking as well.....Ill check both places.......getting the right hose cant be THAT much more money

ill probably end up doing what sofaking suggested!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jonmark1985

Nelapse, i can't believe your giving such shotty advice. The problem with using a 5/8" is that usually they kink under a tight bend. If he is already at the dealer or the parts store he should just go ahead and try to get the RIGHT hose. I think he would sound a whole lot less dumb than if he said "give me something like that, or whatever I'll make it work." There is absoloutley nothing wrong about being picky and getting the RIGHT part.

Kdxrider, don't worry about what they think of you. I used to work in the parts business and I saw this happen all the time. Just tell them you need the hose that runs from the intake manifold to the throttle body for a (insert your car here). If you really want to impress them though, bring in the hose and that picture. Then you can make sure 100% that you have the correct hose.
Jon I think you misunderstood. I meant to find a similiar bent hose and trim that to fit. NOT a straight hose. Yes, a straight one would kink.

I doubt the auto store will have that exact hose. You will find the same diameter with a similiar bend, and trim that to fit.