Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007 | 08:02 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro Z28
Engine: LB9
PLEASE HELP

So today I took my camaro in to get a new exhaust on. New y pipe, catalytic conv, and a flowmaster catback. Picked it up a few hrs ago (about 15min before the place closed) when I started it up it had a bit of smoke but i assumed it was leftover carbon or something that was in there from when i had the old leaky exhaust on. I drove it around for about a half hr to make sure it was ok, then went to the bank.

When I came back out the thing wouldn't start. I thought maybe they hit a fuel line or something, but there was no puddle under the car. Eventually it started when I gave it some gas, but would only continue to run if i held it at a high constant rpm. when I took my foot off the pedal it stalled out and made some weird noise like it was trying to start (even after I took the key out). So I popped the hood and my coolant reservoir was making...well honestly, it sounded like a fart noise. I could see more coolant bubbling into it and the level rose a few inches above where it was.

It wasn't doing any of this before the exhaust. Is there something they could've done during install to cause something like this? I would really really appreciate some opinions...the place is closed now but I'm gonna go back there tomorrow and I don't wanna get screwed.
Old 07-26-2007 | 11:20 PM

Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I see from your vB garage you've got an '87 Z. How about reducing the mystery and tell us what engine/induction you've got.
Old 07-27-2007 | 11:38 AM

Re: PLEASE HELP

o sorry, its an 87 z28 with a 305 tpi (LB9) totally stock execpt for the gutted air bow mod i saw on here, and the exhaust that just went on.
Old 07-27-2007 | 01:22 PM

Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
It's a little hard to imagine what they could have done to it to make it do that just by doing exhaust work. But, if some wires were damaged, it's possible.

Did the SES light ever come on during any of this?

How is it today? Have you taken it back to them to look at yet?
Old 07-27-2007 | 01:36 PM

Re: PLEASE HELP

I called them earlier, they said to bring it by whenever but I might not be able to get it towed over there today so I tried looking at it myself to see if it's any better. It still needed me to give it some gas while it was cranking in order to start (which its never done prior to yesterday) but it is running somewhat. It's rpms look pretty solid at 500 once I got it going but it sounds like it could stall any second. Also the engine light did not come on today like it did yesterday. I dunno if I mentioned that the light did come on last time it managed to start. I don't know how to check for codes tho so I'm not sure what the light meant.

I'm not sure what they could've done either. They seem like an ok shop, could it just be clogged somehow?