Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Removing Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007 | 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '90 RS
Engine: Vortec 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 non posi
Removing Gas Tank

Alright Im having some trouble getting my gas tank out. Im removing it so I can but a new pump in since my current one is burnt out. I unhooked all of the lines and heatsheilds and unbolted the two straps that hold the tank up. I started to drop it and got about 4 inches then realized that the rear suspension is in the way so I unbolted the one side(the bar that gos across the car on an angle) and pvited it down. Still not enough room to get it out because of the long nozzle to put gas in! So I unbolted the other part of the suspension but the bolts wont come out only the nuts did.

So my question is how the hell do I get the fuel tank out? They didn't give us much room to work with here, what have you guys done? I can post up some pics if that will help you see what ive done already, thanks
Old 07-25-2007 | 09:06 PM

Re: Removing Gas Tank

You need to raise the whole rear end of the car a good height and then drop the rear axle all the way to the ground. Watch out for the brake lines and emergency brake lines. Easiest way I did it was to take out practically everything attached to the rear axle except for the LCA's. Then you kinda have to wiggle the tank out.

Make sure too you remove all the gas from it. nothing worse than trying to remove a full or half full tank. Luckily when I've had to drop my tank it was because the rubber hose inside the fuel tank had fallen apart so when I would disconnect the lines all of the fuel would pour out on it's own.
Old 07-25-2007 | 09:20 PM

Don't let anyone talk you into cutting under the carpet and taking out from the top. It won't work the lines are to long. I had some help, we took the arm out and took the shock mount bolt out on the passenger side. Then 1 person guided the fill tube, 1 pushed down on the rearend on the pass. side and I pulled and twisted the tank from the bottom. There is a sweet spot that it will come out easily after you twist it. The upper corner of the front of the tank after the twist will just miss the shock mount.
Old 07-25-2007 | 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

DAmn, nothings ever easy on these cars. Thanks alot
Old 07-25-2007 | 11:09 PM

But it's so much fun! I love working on my car because everything seems so simple. Sure it takes a while to do things some of the time, but the concepts around everything are pretty simple.
Old 07-26-2007 | 01:46 AM
Supreme Member

Yea, I have to agree with you there. But with the car Im doing this on Ive been working on it for so long and right when Im ready to start it up for the first time theres something always stopping me from it. Other on that I love working on my cars.
Old 07-26-2007 | 09:40 AM

Welcome to my world then. When I finally got the car running and was working, my brakes went out. My front driver side brake line cracked. So I replaced all of the brake line rubber tubing on the front and replaced all of my pads and shoes. That took a couple of weeks due to little time to do it. When I tried to start her back up it wouldn't. The same freakin rubber tube inside the tank had fallen apart

Now I've got about a 2 foot section of high pressure tubing specifically designed for gas tanks. If that thing falls apart then I got serious problems. But I'm also getting a new fuel pump
Old 07-26-2007 | 04:01 PM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56

When I did it I had to completely remove the panhard bar and drop the panhard brace. The bolts wouldn't come out of the panhard even though the nuts came off. A sawzall and grinder ended up being my best friend. Had to replace the panhard bar though. No big deal. I think it was only $50 at Advance Auto. My justification was that it needed new bushings anyway.