Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

every bump shuts the car down

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007 | 03:58 PM

Car: 1988 trans am GTA
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
every bump shuts the car down

i have an 88 gta with the 350 tpi. and every time i hit a decent sized bump it would kill the car and it wouldn't start for like 15 or so mins due to the vats system. so i disabled the vats system by putting a matching resistor on the wires that go to the module. i am now able to start the car right back up when it dies ( the vats override is only temporary until i solve this issue). my thoughts are that its something in the ignition cylinder that is broken or loose because one day i hit the steering column and it died but havnt been able to reproduce the same effect and the whole vats system thing not working with my key at certain times kinda helps that theory. any ideas?
btw if any one has any questions about overriding the vats system let me know, ive had to do it on many cars and trucks due to cheap friends not wanting to buy a 40$ blank key and this time it finally came in handy for me.
Old 07-24-2007 | 04:04 PM

Re: every bump shuts the car down

also found this picture, could the wire running to the key be broken or loose causing this problem. even if the vats is overrided?
Old 07-24-2007 | 10:05 PM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 with shift kit

my car used to have the same problem, but that was because the pigtails from out the the ignition coil kept falling out. i had to get out, pop the hood, and shove them back in.

i bought the car like that, and i dont know how the previous owner dealt with that! that was one of the first things i went to the junk yard for

never had the problem since, but i dont think its your problem. back to your theory, if you think it was a bad wire or a loose connection, then how would it "fix" it self back intsantly for you to be about to start the car back up?

i dont think it is something with the wiring, cause, i mean, the wires would have to be giggled, or moved in some way to get them back to a working state right? they wouldnt just fix themselves after falling out of place...

idk, i could be wrong, but thats just my opinion, i have no idea what else it could be either...

sry for nothing, lol
Old 07-26-2007 | 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by BanjaminGTA
never had the problem since, but i dont think its your problem. back to your theory, if you think it was a bad wire or a loose connection, then how would it "fix" it self back intsantly for you to be about to start the car back up?
thats kinda my question on it also im kinda wondering if its the VATS module that keeps killing the car.

dont worry you may not have helped me solve the problem but your help is definably appreciated!