Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Wrong intake/head combo question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007 | 01:53 AM

Car: '87 GMC Jimmy S15
Wrong intake/head combo question.

Have a typical third gen problem... I think. Got a 92 305 block but have a Torker II intake for the 86 and older style heads. Now if we tighten down the bolts enough, will it hold enough pressure or do I need to suck it up and pay the $75 from summit for the Holley/Weiand adaptor pieces? I'm not gonna be driving the car very long until about 9 months from now cuz I'm leaving in about a week and won't be back until about April so will it be alright for now if we tighten them down enough or does it need those bolts in to run right? Or do you know of a place where I can buy teh beveled washers that will work. I really don't know the angle of elevation or thickness needed for the washers so some help there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 07-23-2007 | 08:52 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
Re: Wrong intake/head combo question.

Ugh!
That is a terrible mismatch, and I don't mean in terms of bolts lining up. The torker 2 is terrible!

I'd leave the stock TBI stuff as is, until you can actually afford an "upgrade", the torker 2 and whatever carb you have planned is not an upgrade.

FWIW - You can use a die grinder to slot the bolt holes, and buy a counterboring tool and cut the surface to the right angle. Or the beveled washers (I forget who makes/sells those).
Old 07-23-2007 | 09:57 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah, don't spend $75 to mount up that turd of an intake. You can buy a new Summit house brand dual plane stage 1 intake for 87-up heads for only about $125.

Link:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...6&autoview=sku

It's for spread-bore carbs (QJet) but can work with a squarebore carb (Holley) for about $7 with an adapter plate. Link to adapter plate:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku.

If you're going to be putting your stock TB on top of any carbureted intake you'll be needing some sort of TB-to-carb intake adapter plate anyway. Probably something like this....

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by Damon; 07-23-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-23-2007 | 11:48 AM

I don't have a TBI intake and don't have any form of intake besides this Torker II and edel 600 carb. I got this intake and carb brand new for $200 and it matches of to my cam's rpm range pretty good which is why I'm using it. I was really just asking if I left the four centerbolts out for a little while, what kind of problems would I face? Would it affect anything or damage anything enough to worry about? And I plan on changin the intake after a while but I figured this is a nice starter. Plus I don't have a good enough budget to buy another intake and don't have enough time to sell this intake and buy another. So will it affect anything severely or can I drive without it for the week that I have before I leave?
Old 07-23-2007 | 12:04 PM

Car: 83 Trans Am
Engine: LT1 350
Transmission: 5 Speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10bolt till it breaks

Originally Posted by tweek1957
I don't have a TBI intake and don't have any form of intake besides this Torker II and edel 600 carb. I got this intake and carb brand new for $200 and it matches of to my cam's rpm range pretty good which is why I'm using it. I was really just asking if I left the four centerbolts out for a little while, what kind of problems would I face? Would it affect anything or damage anything enough to worry about? And I plan on changin the intake after a while but I figured this is a nice starter. Plus I don't have a good enough budget to buy another intake and don't have enough time to sell this intake and buy another. So will it affect anything severely or can I drive without it for the week that I have before I leave?
If you leave the 4 center bolts out, you are almost guaranteed a leak. And run a high risk of the intake itself cracking from unequal torque, especially withe the engine running and expanding and contracting. I would be scared to even torque down any of the bolts without the 4 center bolts included, thats a recipe for failure.
Old 07-23-2007 | 12:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

No, that carb and intake do not match any RPM range whatsoever - they turn up the suck across the entire RPM range.

You're really stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Your intake won't bolt up without modifying it - that's a fact. How much do the modifications cost? It's not worth dropping any kind of coin into making that fit, because it's junk. I'd follow Damons advice and just get that summit intake.

Or you can try to obtain a stock TBI intake and injection setup. That's a bit of a pain.

Or you can get some heads that are pre-87, and run those with your *gasp* torker 2. At least then you can upgrade later to a better pre-86 style intake.
Old 07-23-2007 | 12:32 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

this is a nice starter
No, it isn't. It's not a "nice" anything. Basically some aluminum got its value reduced by being cast into that shape.

If you paid money for that intake, you got ripped.

Cut your losses now and get rid of it, spending more money on it just because you've already spent some money doesn't make spending money on it a better idea. Put it on eBay and let it pass to a "greater fool". There is NO EXCUSE that will turn using it into a good idea.

You will have trouble leaving out the 4 center bolts, guaranteed. Problems will range from leaks, to breaking the manifold and rendering it TOTALLY worthless, to stripping the bolt holes in the heads.

I'd suggest leaving the car alone and drive it like it is (or not, if it's not working) for a week and then deal with it PROPERLY in April, rather than make the mistake you say you're determined to make. Again, NOTHING will turn your proposal into a good idea, and fishing for people to go along with it and tell you what you want to hear, won't make it into a good idea either.
Old 07-23-2007 | 02:03 PM

Okay so I won't be just leaving it like that and I will try to scrape up some money to head down to summit and get a new intake. I hear everyone saying that the Torker II is a crap intake but no will will explain why. What is so bad about it? Did edelbrock really screw up that bad on a design? I'm gonna try and sell the intake but I still want to know what is so bad about it.
Old 07-23-2007 | 03:34 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Did edelbrock really screw up that bad on a design?
Yes.
What is so bad about it?
It is a REALLY OLD design, one might say, the first attempt at such a thing. They were trying to get a compromise between a street-type dual-plane, and a racing single-plane. In reality though, they gave up the better features of each of those designs, but didn't get the advantage of either. Even when it was new, there were numerous other intakes that did a better job. It kills low-end torque and other low speed, low power properties (fuel atomization, economy, throttle response, cold startups) but doesn't deliver anywhere near the high-RPM flow of a good single plane (Vic Jr or something like that).

A Performer RPM intake will SMOKE it. You can pick those up used all day long for fairly cheeep.
Old 07-23-2007 | 09:06 PM

Thank you for that. I completely understand now why he didn't want much for the combo. I'm gonna try it pick up a new intake this week. I'm just kind of new to this motor buildup thing and read the rpm ranges on my cam and thought this would be a nice match. Thanks again for the advice and will be fixing the problem very shortly.