Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007 | 09:08 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc Z
Engine: SBC 355 crate motor
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 7.5 stock Disc rear.
spark plugs

I was wondering what is everyones preferance on spark plugs. i have bosch platinums in my car now and was planning to put bosch plugs in my new motor. My new motor is a 350 that will be running about 450 hp and 415lbs of torque. i have heard from some that bosch really arent good plugs to use. Just was curious what some suggustions are for plugs.
Old 07-05-2007 | 09:11 PM

Re: spark plugs

i prefer autolite plugs
Old 07-05-2007 | 09:15 PM

Car: 89' Pontiac Firebird
Engine: L03 carb Ported #87s new shortblock
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

AC Delco, enuff said
Old 07-05-2007 | 10:48 PM

Car: 88 firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

NGK R's.. my only choice as Canadian Tire doesn't ever have stock of any other type.
Old 07-06-2007 | 08:36 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 H.O. 72,000 original miles
Transmission: 700R4

I run Bosh Platinums (dual tips) in my Camaro and I run Bosh Platinums in my Taurus. I originally had ac delcos in my camaro but when I put Bosh spark plugs in the car it ran alot better.
Old 07-06-2007 | 09:28 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L Ported SLP Runners and Intake
Transmission: 700r4 w/ shift kit

i just put AC Delco rapidfires(4.99 each) in my '88 GTA 350, seem to work well
Old 07-06-2007 | 10:18 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac GTA
Engine: 350 5.7 T.P.I.
Transmission: TH 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I want to try the E3 sparkplugs. I ran them in my weed eaters and they start up every time. I landscape for a living and they are the best. But, that's a weed eater not a car.
Old 07-06-2007 | 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: not the best not the worst

so let me get this straight some of you are putting the crappiest plug know to man (bosch) in your camaros and claiming a performance "gain"

you do realize the plugs are made by bosch....

a tip on the dual/quad grounding strap plug... complete bullshit the spark will always jump the smallest gap... so how is that an improvement over ac/champion/autolite... but hey if your gonna believe everything you read...

i got a flux capacitor that you sit on and it will turn water into gas...
Old 07-06-2007 | 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

Exactly. The multi tip stuff is garbage.
Materials matter- copper is the best conductor, use it, change it often.
Platinum is for your moms minivan, since she doesn't like to get her hands dirty changing them, but is willing to take a 15hp hit to save on maintenance.

Iridium is peachy, if you can afford it. I'd save that for boosted engines though.
Old 07-07-2007 | 10:26 AM

Iridium is to hard to fire and should really only be used in a coil on plug aplication, as the plug wires will short before the plug fires. Or thats what the represenative from NGK told us.

+1 on the bosch multitip is crap stuff, its also dangerous to your engine, as parts fall away from the spark plug when it burns uneven.
Old 07-08-2007 | 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.

Man, I don't know what annoys me more, the crappy search engine or the ignorant crap thrown about TGO lately. Since I'm lazy, I'll just add a compelation of replies to similar posts since this subject has been beat to death for about ten years now:

Originally Posted by Red Devil
Wow, it amazes me how much misinformation is on this site. Iridium has been around for a while. As for conductivity:

Copper:
Thermal conductivity 401 J/m-sec-deg
Electrical conductivity 595.8 1/mohm-cm

Platinum:
Thermal conductivity 71.6 J/m-sec-deg
Electrical conductivity 94.34 1/mohm-cm

Iridium:
Thermal conductivity 147 J/m-sec-deg
Electrical conductivity 188.679 1/mohm-cm

As you can plainly see, COPPER is the best conductor of the three. That is inclusive of the thermal conductivity. That said, the latter two in the above list are much more durable substances in the combustion environment. When the big thing a few years ago was the 100,000 mile tune up, it was Platinum and Iridium plugs placed in the motors. They are produced for durability and durability only. You will note that a lot of companies do not use full sleeved platinum or iridium.

There is a drawback to their durability, as stated previously, in that their conductivity relatively sucks donkey *****. You can not use full platinum plugs such as Bosch platinum and Bosch +4 with a capacitive discharge system (not sure if anyone makes a full iridium plug but allegedly the stock v-8 SHO ones were). The resistance will either ruin the plug or the capacitive discharge system or one of the ignition components.

For these applications the consensus has been the regular Bosch (solid copper core) AC Delco or Champion plugs.

Now as far as changing the plugs, I’ve owned about a dozen of these cars and always pulled them from the top with little problem. :shrug:
As far as the less powerful ignitions of today… where? The output is comparable for the most part, they are all ‘HEI’ ignitions now a days.

As for our cars fouling the platinum and iridium plugs, that is pure BS. That is one of the good points of all that resistance and minimal electrode surface area, they self clean rather well and stay cleaner longer.
Any quality copper core plug would be what you want. Certainly not a Bosch platinum (any) with the MSD, they get too hot. You want the least inline resistance when using an aftermarket ignition. (Don't get me started on the alleged 'low resistance' crapola wires MSD and others sell.)

Any of the expensive metal plugs are typically not needed on these cars (particularly with a 'hot' ignition set-up) unless you plan on neglecting your tune up interval. As was mentioned, these plugs are pretty easy to get to.

If you want to 'get a little extra' index the plugs and cut back the strap halfway into the center electrode.
Contextually...

Multi-prong plugs are worthless in our motors. At best they are a waste of money, at worst they will impede the flame front in the combustion chamber.

If you don't like doing plugs often, Bosch Platinum are fine (single plain old platinum) SO LONG AS YOU DO NOT RUN AN AFTERMARKET IGNITION!! Not so good for reading the plugs either, but longevity is great. Same with all the funky metal plugs.

Bosch copper core (Cu conducts better than all those funky metals), AC Delco, Champion all the 'regular' plugs are fine as well if you feel you don't mind changing them more often, or you need to read the plugs.

Wires... depends on the ignition. Aftermarket ignition will typically call for thicker/better wires. Stock ignition, you can use stock-type wires.

On a 305 TBI... anything is fine.
Originally Posted by Vader
LBC,

SplitFires probably don't "suck", and they likely don't "blow" either. In other words, they are really no better nor worse than a "conventional" spark plug, so why spend extra money for something that has no gain.

Millions of man/hours of research and development have been invested in the present evolutionary phase of the spark plug. If pressing a split end in the outer electrode were such a great advantage, you would see that design on aircraft plugs and every other brand of automotive plug. You would also discover that moving the spark all over the combustion chamber is not a good thing. The entire reason that people INDEX their spark plugs in maximum=performance engines is that it is critical to have the spark in a controlled and consistent location. Allowing the spark to wander all over the face of a wide or split outer electrode is contrary to that theory, and also contrary to the theory of having a small center electrode like you'll find on true platinum-cored plugs.

The SplitFire design has been in the public realm for more than seven years, and if it were "all that", everyone else would be using the idea now that the patent has expired. If you can get them on sale for 99¢ then by all means get them if that's what you desire. Otherwise, the cost differential probably doesn't justify the difference.

Platinum electrodes, however, are a completely different story. True platinums (not platinum clad steel like some plugs) are a definite advantage for wear and reliability, and consistent spark location.

For the same reasons listed above, I feel the Bosch 4+ plugs are even less desireable. It would be freakin' near impossible to predict the spark location and flame kernel travel with that plug. To me, they are in the same category as oil additives and magnetizers on fuel lines - they sound good on paper using circular logic, but the science doesn't support the theory.

But that's just my opinion...

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Fear is how I fall, Confusing what is real..."
Adobe Acrobat Reader

Sure, so long as the other three electrodes don't block the flame front.
The point of the indexing is to expose the flame front to the rest of the area w/o impeding it's flow by moving the strap to the back of the flame front generated by the spark. That's why the +4's would work in alot of imports. The heads centrally locate the plug at the top center so the flame front you want to propegate is generally below the electrodes.
Spito, I'd love to see exactly why you seem to think Bosch makes the crappiest plug on earth. I realize a whole slew of items are made by Bosch, what ignorant position are you trying to point out here? And the dual/quad electrode designs are an improvement over the regular design in the proper application. Really not that hard to understand.

And here's some on spark plug wires, guess why I don't believe the hype of the low resistance crap:

"Ignition Wires

The purpose of the ignition wires is to conduct the maximum coil output energy to the spark plugs with a minimum amount of radiated electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI). On most street applications using digital computers for engine management control, excessive EMI and even RFI can interfere with ECUs and cause running problems.

There are 3 basic types of conductors used in automotive applications: Carbon string, solid and spiral wound. Most production engines come equipped with carbon string or spiral wound. The solid core types are used exclusively for racing, mainly with carbureted engines because they offer no EMI or RFI suppression. They generally have a low resistance stainless steel conductor. These types are rapidly losing favor, even in racing circles.

The carbon string type is the most common and work just fine in most stock type applications. The conductor is usually a carbon impregnated fiberglass multistrand. Suppression qualities are fine with resistances in the 5K to 10K ohms per foot. They are cheap and reliable for 2 to 5 years usually, then they may start to break down and should be replaced. High voltage racing ignitions will likely hasten their demise.

The spiral wound type is probably the best type for any application. The better brands offer excellent suppression, relatively low resistance and don't really wear out. Construction quality and choice of material vary widely between brands.

NGK makes low priced wire sets which work well in performance and street applications however the terminal ends tend to be a bit fragile.

Magnecor makes excellent quality spiral types with high suppression qualities. These are reasonably priced for the quality you are getting and proven worldwide over many years under extreme conditions.

Some amount of resistance is required along with proper construction to achieve high suppression levels. Resistance is also important to avoid damaging some types of coils and amplifiers due to flyback and coil harmonics. Beware of wires claiming to have very low resistance. These CANNOT have good suppression qualities."

Gotta love search engines.
And someone fix the damn search, it's going from 2007 to 2001 and skipping all the stuff in between.
----------
Originally Posted by jonmark1985
Iridium is to hard to fire and should really only be used in a coil on plug aplication, as the plug wires will short before the plug fires. Or thats what the represenative from NGK told us.

+1 on the bosch multitip is crap stuff, its also dangerous to your engine, as parts fall away from the spark plug when it burns uneven.
Bad rep, I wouldn't believe a word out of his mouth henceforth. Next time you see him ask him why it doesn't happen with platinum setups (likely he'll reply it's conductivity is better), then pull out the info I posted above when he puts his foot in his mouth.

Last edited by Red Devil; 07-08-2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-08-2007 | 10:10 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: not the best not the worst

hey sorry if i offended you... i have Had some personal experience with Bosch's quality control or lack there of...

i used to run their WR8EC's in my ZX1100-GPz well that is until one day down the highway it went pop engine locked up good had it towed home one of the center electrodes fell in... about 2 days after i installed them... Bosch says they will replace the plugs but any incidental damage isn't their responsibility
Old 07-08-2007 | 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11

i like AC delco regular non-platinums or the champion copper ones are in the car right now.
Old 07-08-2007 | 12:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 V6 'bird/89TBI bird/85 T/A
Engine: 2.8/TBI/TPI
Transmission: V8 T-5/700R4 x2
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open/2.73 open/ 3.27 9 bolt

AC Delcos - in everything - they are the best of the normal plugs
Old 07-08-2007 | 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SpitotRs305
hey sorry if i offended you... i have Had some personal experience with Bosch's quality control or lack there of...

i used to run their WR8EC's in my ZX1100-GPz well that is until one day down the highway it went pop engine locked up good had it towed home one of the center electrodes fell in... about 2 days after i installed them... Bosch says they will replace the plugs but any incidental damage isn't their responsibility
That happened to a local shop when they put "plus 4's" in for a guy
Old 07-08-2007 | 01:03 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 307

I'll just add a little about the E3 plugs. They seem to be a solid peice Ive tested them on my spark tested and the spark does make the diamond shape like the claim. I put a set in my FXDG, Impreza and lawn mower. It made no noticeable power or fuel economy increase in my Harley or Subaru but it did make a difference in my mower. The mower will run slightly longer on a tank of fuel then it has with the Champion plugs. So my take is they are great for lawn mowers but a waste for automobile use unless one can actually make a warrenty claim and get a new set of plugs for free.
Old 07-08-2007 | 04:30 PM

Bad rep, I wouldn't believe a word out of his mouth henceforth. Next time you see him ask him why it doesn't happen with platinum setups (likely he'll reply it's conductivity is better), then pull out the info I posted above when he puts his foot in his mouth.
I think it has to do with the surface area and the iridium being a bit thinner, either way, i'm not in the parts business anymore so i wouldn't have a chance to speak with him again.