Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

ENGINE NOISE. SPUN ROD BEARING?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '01 Lincoln LS - '89 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 c.i. 1 piece seal truck block
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock 2.73 gears stage II
ENGINE NOISE. SPUN ROD BEARING?

I have an '89 z28 355ci w/ a 700r4.

The other day I raced a 5.0 mustang and redlined the car in 2nd gear.

I heard a whining on and off back to the house right after, not too loud but noticeable.

I let the car sit for a day or two. Started engine without problem, idles without problem.

Once the engine is revved it emits a rhythmic ticking from within the block that gets louder and faster as the rpms increase.

No smells, no knocking, no smoke, no shaking, no whining, no squealing, and the tick is steady, so I don't think its any sort of debris as it probably wouldnt be as steady.

Any ideas? I'm thinking a worst case scenario its a spun rod bearing but I'm hoping that something may just be loose as it isnt audible at idle. Unfortunately I havent had a chance to open the valve covers yet to look around so I was hoping for a little input from here. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: ENGINE NOISE. SPUN ROD BEARING?

Hopefully it's not a rod bearing, but if it is, you'll know pretty quick since it'll get worse quite rapidly. From the way you described the noise, I'd check for exhaust leaks possibly, and since you ran it all the way to the redline, there's probably a strong chance that you could've broke a valve spring, a rocker nut backed off, or one of the rocker studs pulled loose if you're still running the stock, press-in studs.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ENGINE NOISE. SPUN ROD BEARING?

I agree with the above, if it were a stacked bearing you would most definitly know it....

It would'nt be ticking, It would be knocking its A$$ off....

Also, If you suspect a bad bearing pull the spark plug wire from the cylinder you suspect and listen for the sound to stop.

This is an old school test but it does work.