Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

No Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start Issue

I recently purchased an 89 Turbo Trans Am. I began experiencing random "no start issues". When I turn the ignition key there is no cranking of the engine by the starter, no sound of the solonoid trying to engage. Everything else, including proper operation of the VATS security light, appears normal. Per the owners manual, I attempt to start the car at five minute intervals. It takes 6-8 attempts covering 30-40 minutes before the car will start. It then will run fine until the next time which can occurr with the next start up attempt or, days later. I read the VATS article published by this forum and determined the resistance of my key and installed a resistor of equal value in the ignition key circuit. Everything was fine, the car started every time until a few days ago when the same "no start" problem re-occurred.
I'm guessing that the problem lies in the PASSKEY/VATS module. I'd like to bypass this system entirely. Is that possible? If so, how would I go about doing so? If not, would the correct solution be to replace the PASSKEY/VATS module? Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:24 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: No Start Issue

I recently purchased an 89 Turbo Trans Am.
Oh. So YOU are the one...

Being an intermittent problem is not going to make diagnosis any easier. If/when you are fortunate (or, unfortunate) enough to catch is in a no-start mode, you should check the start enable signal from the VATS module to the ECM.

I'm not sure which article you may have read, but this should have most of the information you need to troubleshoot it:

VATS System

If you generate more questions after reading that, we'll be here.

Since you have evidently bypassed the key resistor wiring and lock cylinder contacts, the problem may be in the VATS module itself or the wiring. I'd suggest verifying the key pellet circuit resistance by measuring right at the VATS module connector. If that is correct, backprobe the connector and manually ground the coil of the start enable relay. That should allow cranking, and if the engine doesn't start (no fuel) the signal from the VATS module to the ECM should be verified with an oscilloscope.

Incidentally, Welcome Aboard!