Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Ambient Underhood Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86' Trans-Am (wrecked)
Engine: none currently
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: 2.86:1 w/ one broken axle
Ambient Underhood Temperature

My car has a 350 with a Holley 600cfm carb. 160 thermostat, new 4 row Modine radiator, 7 blade clutch fan, and a backup electric fan. Nothing that should be producing extreme heat. After driving the car for 10 or 15 minutes, when the coolant temp has only reached 150 or 160*F, the temp under my hood is quite high.. much higher than any other car I have ever seen with the Chevy SB + Carb setup. I have tried wrapping the exhaust with header wrap to keep some of the heat out and hasn't too helped much. There is no AC so no condenser to be putting off heat. After sitting in traffic for a few minutes, my temp really starts to creep up on me and begins to overheat. Even with my temp only at 160, the carburetor and even the breather is hot enough to burn my hand.

Also, I suspect that my oil temp is getting pretty high as well, because after driving for 10 or more minutes the pressure drops from 60+ lbs at idle to 20-25 lbs. Also, my exhaust is fairly close to the bottom of the oil pan. I wrapped the exhaust there and plan to put some more heat shielding on it as well. I am planning to put an external oil cooler on it with an electric fan mounted to it to pull some of my heat out.

What are some ways to help reduce the ambient heat under my hood?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:11 AM

Car: 1984 Trans-Am WS6
Engine: WAS: 5.0HO, SOON: ZZ383-425HP.
Transmission: 700R4 with shift kit
Re: Ambient Underhood Temperature

remove the rear seal of the hood (lets air flow through) some people are against it but it works.
I went one step further and raised the back of the hood around 2/3s of an inch.
It lowerd my cars running temp around 20-40'F (depending on speed) because the air flows through the engine bay easer (like a large unseald cowl hood).

Also you will find it will controll slightly better at high speed because the air is not getting traped under the hood and going against youre down force.

Last edited by VenomX-87; 06-21-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:31 PM

Car: 86' Trans-Am (wrecked)
Engine: none currently
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: 2.86:1 w/ one broken axle
Re: Ambient Underhood Temperature

That sounds like a really good idea, I had never thought of that. Would it be worth me putting a cowl or scoop on my current hood? Which would be more efficient to remove heat, cowl or scoop?