Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Someone please help, I am literrally loosing sleep!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355ci L98 soon to be turbo'd
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi
Someone please help, I am literrally loosing sleep!

Well, I've had this problems for a couple of months now. Everytime I try to fix it, it just gets worse. I have an 87 Trans Am. My problem is that the v-belt on the power steering pumps squeals loudly. In the past, it only did it when it would get a bit wet. So I tightened the belt and it was fine. I then removed my A/C compressor (so it was running off its own belt) and it would squeal upon start off and take off. When I stopped at a light, or about to turn, it would squeal. Once I got to about 3k rpms (or higher, when I get frustrated) it will suddenly stop and run like normal. Okay, I figured, its not tight enough, so I bought a second belt so I have one belt per groove (since the second grove went to the a/c compressor) I also tightened it very tight, and I mean tight, I had to use a turnbuckle, but its tight as hell. Now, it will squeal and not stop unless I put it in neutral and floor it to 4k-5k rpm until it "catches". I start to slow and it will start squealing, it wont even wait until I am fully stopped. I need help, I am extremely stupped and have no clue what the f*ck is going on. I've stayed up all night last night and half of tonight trying to figured out what it is, tightening and loosing stuff. Can anyone offer any advice?
----------
I made sure the pump had enough fluid as well and bought new belts...

Last edited by HCR13; 05-13-2007 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-13-2007, 08:56 AM

Re: Someone please help, I am literrally loosing sleep!

anyone?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: not the best not the worst

take some 40 grit sand paper and roughen up the groves for the belts and make sure you have the right belts... dont take the snot nose kid at the autoparts store as knowing diddly about a belt
Old 05-13-2007, 09:30 AM

Car: 91 camaro
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: t5 :(
Axle/Gears: posi 373

make sure that everything is lined up right also. i had a belt that wouldnt stop squeaking on my DD and it eneded up being that my p/s pump was crooked so check to make sure its all straight
Old 05-13-2007, 09:40 AM

Car: 84 firebird T/A
Engine: shinny 350
Transmission: slush box L65
Axle/Gears: round ones "3.73"

you need a new pump.... I have one off of my 84. I converted to serpentine. I will let it go for a reasonable fee plus shipping
Old 05-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by HCR13
... Can anyone offer any advice?...
I can offer some but I promise you're not going to like it.
I hate V belts but I have to work with them every day.
If either pulley is worn (or both) or has the wrong angle "V" you will have the problem that you describe.
Usually the worn pulley will have a "U" shape instead of a "V". It may not be that obvious visually.
Telltale sign is a shiny track in the bottom of the groove where the belt actually bottoms out. The driving power is in the sides of the belt being wedged in the "V". If the belt bottoms in the "V" the belt will slip regardless of tension.
Now here's the "you won't like it" part. The pump pulley is not availabe at your usual parts store, have to get it from the dealer or online specialty aftermarket place; probably be chrome and pricey, not to mention a pain to change.
In a nutshell: the problem is in the pulleys. Look closely at them.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

I'd be betting the pump is shot. But now you've got 3 different thoughts, pump, belt, pulley.
Check alignment first, that's an easy one.
If the pulley is shiny and U shaped, go for the pulley first. If the pulley looks ok, i'd guess the pump is partially seized, causing it to be very hard to spin, which lets the belt spin on the pulley. Check to see how easy it is to spin the pump. Either way, once you've had it super tight, you've probably ruined the bearings in the pump anyway so...
Old 05-13-2007, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a new belts on there now, but I still have the old one, so I'll check that. The pulley itself is pretty easy to spin, I can spin it manually. I drove it around today, and nothing happened. The roads were wet last night, so I'm not sure if that had to do anything with it. How hard would it be to convert to a serpentine setup, can I take one from a v-6 car (since thats all we have in the boneyards around here). The only things belt driven on the car is the alternator and the p/s pump. I believe I would also need a a/c delete pulley and to relocate the alternator to the driver side (above the p/s pump) is this correct? And what about the alignment of the serpentine pulleys, (as far as long/short water pump, etc)? Do I need some sort of spacers or brackets? Thanks again...
Old 05-14-2007, 07:09 PM

my thoughts are like sonix said you had the belt too tight and the bearing is cooked.....seen it before. that is why I stated you need a new pump.

serpentine can get pricey to convert. my offer still stands

jeff
Old 05-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

I doubt the accessories on a V6 car have the right mounting setup, or are the right parts. I think some stuff is reverse rotation, like the water pump for sure at least, so you'd need a few new gizmos anyway.
Definately not worthwhile IMHO.
You can get a new pump at the parts store, complete with the reservoir box for ~$120 or something. Or see what jjlabinski wants for his. His would come with a pulley I imagine, in case you think yours might be pooched.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:45 AM

I see. Here are some of the latest developments... They car seems to be running fine in the day time. I can come and go, turn it on/off, race, whatever. No problem. But as soon as it gets dark it starts the squealing. Pretty weird. I think I'm going to go ahead and try out the new pump thing. How hard are they to replace? Do I need "special tools" for some sort of fittings? Are they mostly "bolt in"? Thanks again fellas.
ps. jjlabinski, how much for the pump shipped to 29841
Old 05-15-2007, 07:09 AM
naf
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

The pump pulley could be easy to free spin but when the pulley is side loaded and the bearings have some lateral force on them it could be a different story. A cheap replacment rebuilt pump at AZ or the equivalent won't come with a new pulley but they can swap your existing pulley over. Doesn't fix it if the pulley's the prob.

I'm thinking you may have a combination of problems, pump getting old, pulley getting a little worn, maybe a little oil getting on the belt/pulley?

Easy enough to swap out if not for those bolts way in the bottom around the back, you know the one. Make sure you get a new o-ring for the high pressure line.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:40 PM

50 bucks shipped

let me know

pump is in great shape

thx

jeff
Old 05-17-2007, 12:56 AM

Ok, well I was thinking today and got a crazy idea. I have the v-belts, so I check out the groves and didn't see anything "questionable" on the pump pulley, so I looked at the crank pulley and there was a very noticeable difference between the rear-most grove and the center grove. The rear-most grove, where I had my primary/tightest belt seemed to be very worn and more U-shaped than the middle. So I took that belt off, and decided only to run the one that went in the center grove (and around the water pump) and that fixed about 95% of the problem. I drove it around tonight and it only squealed once from a stop. The rest of the crusin' time was unnoticeable. So what I've concluded is that my crank pulley needs to be replaced (which I've already located an underdrive set) and I'm going to go ahead and replace the ps pulley... I'm still hesitant about the pump itself, though...
How hard is it to switch out the crank pulley and the alternator pulley? Is it a pretty much direct "bolt off, bolt on"? Or is there some sort of special bolt under/inside the oil pan? Thanks again for the help
Old 05-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by HCR13
...How hard is it to switch out the crank pulley and the alternator pulley? Is it a pretty much direct "bolt off, bolt on"? Or is there some sort of special bolt under/inside the oil pan? Thanks again for the help
The biggest problem is getting the nut tight that holds the alternator pulley on. If you have an impact wrench it is easy. You can do it with it still on the car. Use a shop rag to hold the little fan on the alternator.
Don't overtighten the bolt in the center of the crankshaft. There are plenty of threads illustrating what a pain it is to get a broken bolt out of the end of the crank.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:27 AM
naf
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

Four bolts hold the crank pulley on. Easy on/off. I'm thinking the balancer bolt doesn't have to be removed to take off the pulley, but it's been a while.

I'd advise against an underdrive pulley system though. Too much money for too little gain. It will also be underdriving your accessories at idle: less alternator output, water flow, power steering pressure, etc.

Power steering requires a pulley remover. AZ or one of the others can do it for you if you bring it in.

Why not just pick up another crank pulley at the yards? Should be able to find one on a number of different vehicles.