Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

First post....car will not start fusible link bad???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007 | 02:08 AM

First post....car will not start fusible link bad???

Being this is my first post.....HELP!!!

I have a 92 Z28 5.7. I noticed one of the valves needing to be lashed as I heard a loud ticking. I really had to work to remove the passenger side valve cover off, the side of the valve that needed to be lashed. After I lashed my valve, my car would not start after I put the car back together. I really pulled hard on the wiring harnes to get my valve cover back on. Whe I went to start my Z, I noticed a huge plume of white smoke coming from the starter area when I tried to start my car??? . Now, I have chased the one wire of the fusible link from the starter where the link burned all the way to the passenger compartment. One 14g red wire which is fine with not a crack or tear in the wire until i get to the fire wall. I'm not sure if the plastic fitting that separates the fire wall from the passenger compartment (behind he steering wheel) is the culprate or if it is at the end of the burned wire which leads all the way to a fitting on the steering column???? or what? the 14g red/pink wire continues into the inside of the passenger compartment and has melted a few wires togheter. I followed the melted wire all the way up onto the steering column under the dash! it looks like a switch, white with a blue plug. After the switch, there is no more wires? Where or what do I do from here? My dome light works and that's it!?!?!?! I spent all day working on this POS!

What is causing my short??? the box that separates the fire wall? or the plug on the steering column? Or the white fitting on the steering column??

I"ve never been good with electrical stuff...or spelling..or computers

HELP..............PLEASE

Last edited by Craiger two; 04-13-2007 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-13-2007 | 04:57 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L EFI LTR setup
Transmission: T-5 World Class
Re: First post....car will not start fusible link bad???

you have alot of time ahead of you chaseing wires in wireing diagrams. I suggest getting a manual that has the diagrams . If this is above your abilities to troubleshoot ciruits. Be prepared to pay big bugs to have it done professionally.

Best of luck to ya and welcome here man !
Old 04-13-2007 | 03:05 PM

Re: First post....car will not start fusible link bad???

Here is what I found, to make the picture a bit more clear. I found a pink wire in the passengers side compartment coming from the plug on the dirves side is melted. I followed it to a pink wire that connected to one of the coil wires. That pink wire was smashed under the valve cover....Guess thats were it was grounding!!! I cut it, bypassed it on the passenger side of the fire wall and the car will not run???WTH??? I try and jump my A-B terminal and I do not get any codes what so ever??? I need some sort of wiring diagram PLEASE! My car turns over, but that's it. checked spark, the spark is weak, but present?? I"VE NO IDER?

HELP

Last edited by Craiger two; 04-13-2007 at 10:18 PM.