Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Seal Lube

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Firebird 1989
Engine: 2.8 Litre
Transmission: Automatic
Seal Lube

Hey Auto Brothers it's me again.
I have a leave of motor oil under the car from when I park it. I heard of this stuff called seal lube you add it to the oil and it stops leaks for a very long time like months or years. Here is the add I saw
  • Works in Hours - Last for Years
  • SealLube's Unique Patented Formula works when others fail - Guaranteed!
  • SealLube does not work on paper, cork or rope seals... DO NOT USE IN BRAKE SYSTEMS
  • SealLube works wonders to quickly stop leaks in any fluid system.
  • power steering
  • transmissions
  • engine - main bearing - valve seals - diesel or gas engines
  • differentials
  • rack and pinion
  • any hydraulic system
  • door and hatch seals
Small motors, pumps, gear boxes, or other applications where there is only a small volume of liquid can usually be sealed with just a teaspoon or so, either added to the fluid or painted on the seals outside. In engines, trans, hydraulics etc. use 1 oz per quart capacity. Each bottle is 8 ounces.

SealLube is a special plasticizer for neoprene and nitrile rubber seals which soaks into the seals to soften, expand and revitalize them to like-new condition.
SealLube is a clear liquid which does not use particles of material (like radiator stopleak for example) to plug the leak.
SealLube restores the flexibility, elasticity and tensile strength lost due to heat, age and wear.
Since SealLube is harmless to all seals, it may be used again if the seal should ever leak in the future. Keep a bottle handy to add to any system should a leak occur while traveling and prevent expensive repairs and delays. Simply add a bottle of SealLube, top off the fluid and let it work while you drive
FOR SHIPPING COSTS PLEASE USE CALCULATOR BELOW
EBAY TESTIMONIALS: I have a 1984 corvette which has been garaged for almost 7 years. Last year I started restoration of this car. Having finished with the cosmetics I started driving it on occasion. Everything worked and it still ran great but the front seal in the automatic transmission leaked and the front timing chain cover seal also leaked. Both of these are a major undertaking on a corvette. I saw your ad on ebay and said what the hey, i'll give it a try. I purchased 3 bottles from you using 1 in the tranny, 1 in the crankcase and 1/2 in the power steering. After driving about 100 miles I parked in the garage on a large piece of cardboard, next morning I checked and not 1 drop could I find on the cardboard. You have my permission to use this if you want. Thanks and I will be reordering... Ralph Davenport, Tennessee

Has Anyone tried this Stuff? Or do you know of a better solution rather than getting a $375 Head gasket job?
Please Help!!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 357
Transmission: TH-350C
Axle/Gears: 3.43
Re: Seal Lube

Fix it right the first time...

A gasket or seal is cheap...
Old 04-11-2007, 05:22 AM

i understand but i was triying to avoid having to pay $375 for the gasket to be changed for like a month. I am far from rich. I would do it my self but i can lift the engine. is it easy to do the gasket? Tell me something I don't know 4 real!
But I guess I'll have to go thi8s route.
But seriously is it easy to do it myself and if so please put some photos up.
I do know that I require a 6-pack

Thanks Auto Brothers
Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 AM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 350,Dart Heads,Weiand In,Roller Cam
Transmission: 2400-Stall, 700R4 w/ Kit
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.42 disc (I wish)

Yeah, it is not going to last very long.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Do you know exactly what's leaking?

Like it says, "SealLube is a special plasticizer for neoprene and nitrile rubber seals which soaks into the seals to soften, expand and revitalize them to like-new condition."

I would take exception to the "like-new condition" statement, since all it can do is replace the plasticizers that have leached out of the seal. What happens is petroleum-based lubes dissolve the plasticizers from the seals, which leaves them hard and non-pliable. When hard and non-pliable, they don't ride on the surfaces properly that they're supposed to seal, allowing leaks. The problem is that when hard and non-pliable, they also tend to wear and crack. If worn or cracked, adding plasticizer later won't restore them to "like-new condition". This is especially true of valve seals (but valve seals won't leave a pool of oil under the car after sitting).

The other problem is it doesn't work on cork or paper-based gaskets.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 357
Transmission: TH-350C
Axle/Gears: 3.43

Find out where the leak is, it might be a $5 valve cover gasket...

pretty hard for it to be a headgasket, maybe if it was leaking/burning antifreeze!
Old 04-11-2007, 06:47 PM

Auto Brtother where is the valve cover at on top or under the car somewhere?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

Odd that it has that notation about about not working on brakes. We used to use a little brake fluid to do the same thing, kinda sorta. When we would get transmission that would slip due to apply piston seals getting crappy, we would dump about 8oz of brake fluid in, and swell em up. Problem goes away for a few months, maybe a year. Used it on dodge products mainly, but it works all around. Best bet for you is to fix the problem now, before you make more.