Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car starts then stalls

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Car starts then stalls

I seem to have the exact same problem, see post https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...ight=injectors

I have checked fuel pressure..OK, ran on carb cleaner.. ignition OK, I think I've narrowed it to the injectors not working but I'm stuck there, I am now waiting for someone to reply with more knowlege than me.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:17 AM
TA
Supreme Member

Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt

OK, lets have a look at this whole deal. It runs on spray quickstart, but not on it's own, its not likely the injectors. If it was a problem in the injectors themselves, the likelyhood of all 8 failing completely at the same time, especially if they were working fine one day and dead the next, just doesn't make sense.

Timing of the injectors is almost irrelevant, as they batch fire already (each bank fires all injectors at the same time). If only one or two, even three were not firing, it would run, just really badly.

My guess is that something in the wiring or some fuse is keeping all the injectors from firing
or
your computer is DOA, not telling the injectors to fire.

Just my best guess. Get to what the problem is by eliminating everything that could cause the problem that you have.

Go to a junkyard, find a car like yours, and take the coil, cap, rotor, ignition module (in the distributor) ECM and what ever else you can scrounge, that stuff all comes in very handy at times like these. Keep in mind, most of these cars are 20 years old now, and were the first of their kinds as far as electronics, so you have to expect this kind of thing.

TA
Old 06-10-2007, 02:13 PM

I had a suggedtion from Vader on my post to check the injectors, all of them. if one is shorted to ground it could cause all to misfire, this makes sence to me.
If you find one bad one, unplug it and see what happens.
I used to have an IROC TPI, if I recall it is easy to get to all of the plugs on the injectors. My V6 is a different story but I'm going to go for it.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Check to make sure you dont have a leak in the fuel line. I had a similiar problem and found a tiny leak in the fuel line, it was almost rotted out. I replaced that part of the line with a new tube, and problem went away. Also, if you start it up a second time, will it run?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 TPI Procharger D1SC
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.73

Alright, i will definety try the suggestions from the link you posted. Cap, rotor, plugs, and wires are already brand new but ill look for a coil and ignition module as well.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Alright, i tested all the ohm's for the injectors and they ranged from 16.6 to 16.8.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Supreme Member

Could the ECM possibly be shutting off the injectors and preventing fuel from getting to the motor or can something else be shutting them off? Any other ideas?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:47 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: LHO 3.1 L V6
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by 85Iroc-Z
On another forum i was told an o2 sensor. Can this make the car stall?
i just had my o2 sensor replaced 2 weeks ago bc i had some hesitation when i accelerated. in the mornings when i started up the car, it started fine but then it felt and sounded like it wanted to stall but it didnt. i havent had the same issue since i had the new o2 sensor. but since urs doesnt start now, not sure what it is

Last edited by SirMarT42; 06-28-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Mine will now start again. However, it continues to die within a second. I noticed i forgot to check the ohms's from the cold-start injector. If it is bad, would it cause the other injectors to not work? Still need to figure out what is shutting the fuel off. Another problem now is that my starter was acting up. All it would do is crank, then stop for a second, then crank again, stop, etc. So i went out and bought another starter and it is still doing the same thing. What could solve this problem, using shims?. Or could it be something other than the starter?
Old 07-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.

Good grief.

Look, first solve the fuel issue if you think you still have one, first check THE FUSES then go to a store buy a damn noid light for $8 and get crackin'. A bad 9th will either cause hard starting or a rich condition. A year on a fuel filter isn't crap since the new formulations came out, I've seen some clog up in a matter of weeks.

The SEARCH feature is your friend. How to pull codes with an Alternative GM Diagnostic Code Retrieval Tool (paper clip) is explained somewhere in this mess of a website about a hundred times over. So is this same issue, but we'll overlook that for now.

Then when the fuel is all sorted, change your MAF relays, reset the 'puter and go for a drive somewhere.

As for the starter, look at your main-line connections and clean the main damn ground connection (do the batt. ones while you're at it).