Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Cant do IAC Adjustment And error code 44

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007 | 10:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Camaro, 1986 Trans AM
Engine: V6 2.8 multi-port and V8 5.0 FI
Transmission: 5-Speed and Automatic
Axle/Gears: no idea
Cant do IAC Adjustment And error code 44

This is for my 1986 trans am automatic 5.0 v8 305 tpi fi

I have a new IAC sensor and a new throttle body. Original TPS sensor.

I put everyback on the engine and car ran good. Winter hit and i didnt do any IAC adjustments or TPS adjustments. It ran so good i didnt see a reason to anyway.

But then Battery died last week and reset the computer. Now with the new charged battery and reset computer it runs like crap.

couldnt keep it going once started, i know i have a bad 9th injector but its warming up so last of my worries untill i can get other things fixed.

afrter a few tires i may get it to stay but i usually have to give it some gas or it dies and the rmp is all over the place jumping between 500-1300

I tried driving it and first gear and reverse it dogs it and sounds like putt putt putt. once the automatic shifts into 2nd it drives much better but as soon as i slow down its gasping for something. lke slowly dieing and ******* it.

I tried to do the IAC adjustment to fix my idle afterwards once the car managed to stay running and reached operating temp. but still crappy.

I started the car with the IAC disconnected and the brown timing wire disconnected. Car died immediately after i started it. Didnt even try just turn on then died like a dead fish.

i reconnected everything and disconnected the battery.

car actually had a decent idle a lil high but it stayed there instead of jumping around.

i bought a diagnosis scanner to tell me which engine code i have.

it flased codde 12 which is normal and a code 44 which i read lean exhaust.

Car already has a brand new O2 sensor so does this mean my fuel pump is bad? or my fuel pressure regulator? or a combination of bad idle and fuel pump etc....?

i can't fix the minimum air since i cant keep the car running with sensors disconnected to make the throttle body screw adjustment.

so lack of fuel is sounding more and more of what my major problem...

tomorrow i'm going to try to get some fresh gas in the tank. i used stabilizer over the winter but that was 5 months ago. i started the car once a week ran great.

ill put some fresh gas and try to drive it and see how that works. but i may need a mechanic to help if i cant keep it running for the IAC adjustments.

wow now that you have read all that am i on the right track or what else could cause code 44 lean exhaust and could there be another reason why my car cant stay on with the IAC disconnected?

i grounded the diagnostic buti couldnt tell if my jumper was making contact. no step by step mentioned how u can tell. i noticed if i wiggled the jumper it would hit just right and my check engine light would come on. is it supposed to stay on with the jumper in so you know its making contact? maybe thats where i screwed up. also do you remove the jumper before or after the car is started i have step by steps that argue eachother. one has before start car and one has after start car.

anyways can anyoen enlighten me?