Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

fuel problom

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 2.8L mpfi V-6
fuel problom

ok, so i sorta got help earlyer which solved most of my problom but i still have some, i replaced my fuel pump, and fuel pump relay, so now my pump actually turns on and stuff but seems that we can only get the car to run when we are spraying carb cleaner or the like into the intake. We checked for vacume leaks and had the top part of the manifold off and the Tb, and resealed it all... we even had the fuel filter off and checked that. By the way the Car is a 86 camaro 2.8 v-6 so hopefully some one can point us in the right direction of what this fuel problem could be.... it just acts like its not getting enough fuel, thanks guys
Old 03-11-2007, 10:15 PM

Car: Red 05 Viper SRT 10 & Yellow 03 Z06
Engine: 87 Camaro - 355 TPI Custom
Transmission: 5 Speed BW World Class
Axle/Gears: 3.73:1
Check the injectors.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:38 AM

already did that, and added dry fuel to make sure there was no water in the tank.... thanks for the reply though
Old 03-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 S10 pickup 2700lbs
Engine: 4.3L Z TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 7.625"
does it have a pink and white pair of wires from the coil to the distributor ?

try cranking it while pulling/pushing on and messing with these two wires and see if it will run/die because youre messing with them

i had this/very similar problem with a 92 TBI chevy v6 truck of my brother's that stumped us for months- even after replacing the freaking fuel pump twice -and the FP relay, and other stuff, too

it got down to where it would die out of the blue for no damn reason and usually only fire back up with starting fluid sprayed down it,-but not always- and it would **** us off over and over because we knew there was nothing wrong with the damn fuel system or the ignition(well there was, but not really, but yes since these two wires are in the primary circuit of the ignition system)

the pink wire had broken inside the insulation and we didnt know it,

it was not firing or injecting fuel on its own during cranking

finally we figured this out(by screwing around with wires and stuff while cranking) that it was due to this stupid pink wire, 20 buck later for that little harness from the coil to the distributor and it has been perfect ever since, and this was a couple years ago and now it has over 200k of really hard abused and all original miles on it and its still going strong and seemingly never gonna die

i figure this has to be a semi-common problem on TBI /MPFI vehicles, and not just us, but i dunno,.
im sure quite a few FI vehicles have been scrapped due to this problem alone, especially in places like around here where ppl cant afford to have their older vehicles repaired and dont know anything about troubleshooting and such

just my $.02

good luck

Last edited by Randy82WS7; 03-12-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:45 AM

ok so i checked the wires you were talking bout and they were fine, didn't affect anything when i wiggled them or anything like that, and we decided to take the cat off to make sure it wasn't plugged or anything, and we also tested the injectors with a test light and they get power when the key is on and when its turning over. One thing we did notice when trying to get it to run, the temp gauge is pegged at like 260 or where ever it stops, when keys on and off, well found out it was grounding out but its still there, and we don't know if maybe this is some of the reason it won't start. Its just really weird cuz it sounds like it really really wants to start... and soon as we spray it with carb cleaner or the like it starts right up and runs if you keep spraying it with the cleaner... you can rev it and it runs smooth and like it should but soon as you take it away it starts to drop cylinders and stall out. ?!?!?! we are running out of ideas.
----------
oh and to add to all of that we also plugged the return line to the tank to make sure we weren't loosing fuel pressure... we put a gauge on the end of the line and it read 80psi if that means anything but it didn't make a difference.... sorry for all the hassle thanks guys... but please help me lol before i pull my hair out with this thing

Last edited by 86camarokid; 03-13-2007 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-13-2007, 10:44 AM

Car: 1987 IROC 1991 RS
Engine: 5.7 TPI 5.0 TBI
Transmission: T-5 , 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 twice
You need to check the fuel pressure from either the schrader valve or inline, if there is too much fuel pressure the injectors will not fire. If there is fuel to the fuel rail and spraying into the intake makes it run, I bet your plugs are fouled to hell and back or your fuel pressure is way too high. You already checked the injectors with a test light, be sure you check them for resistances as well.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:51 AM

the spark plugs are brand new... but i'll try putting our gauge inline tonight, and do you know how much resistance i should be looking for in the injectors? cuz i'll check that tonight too
Old 03-14-2007, 08:40 AM

well we didn't know this but the check engine light doesn't come on when we plug the obd reader in to give us a 12 code, so we are thinking this is part of our problom. I work at a local garage and talked to some of the older mechanics there and they said to check some of the wires running to ecm and figure out why it don't light up when i turn the key on... i have a diagram on all the wires but my question is, someone said i think resurrectionz about checking resistance on the injectors but i don't know what type of resistance i should be looking for... like how much resistance??? well i'll keep you guys updated
Old 03-14-2007, 09:45 AM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 350 Ramjet
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: GM 9 bolt 3:27
First of all code 12 is normal with the engine off it is just saying there is not a PRM signal from the Dist.

IIRC the injectors should be about 16 ohms each and when you checked the fuel pressure at 80 PSI if the return line was blocked off you were checking the fuel pump pressure unregulated 80 is not a problem it is the max press the pump is capable of producing. Sounds like pressure might not be your problem. Sound electrical.

did you put the test light across the injectors wiring use the injector harness as the power and the ground and see if the light flashes or just ground the light to the engine and check for power that way. Since you work at a shop ask the techs if they have a noid light for the injectors, it will check the injector wiring to see if you have a good pulse to the injectors. You might have a bad ground somewhere. Make sure you have good grounds for the ECM since you have a diagram