Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

new question from a new member

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007 | 11:14 AM

new question from a new member

hi guys, i just joined up on here and i'm in the process of getting an 88 RS. the question that i have is this: the car has been sitting for about two years and i'm not sure that it's been started regularly, just before it was stored it had a new crate engine put in. the engine has approx. 100 miles on it, what precautions should i take when i go to look and go over this car? i know that i should check the antifreeze and oil, but what other things should i do to make sure not to really screw the internals up? any help would be greatly appreciated, the last car i did was a 78 camaro back in '95, so you could say it's been a while since i've dabbled in this and i can't wait to get back into it.
Old 03-05-2007 | 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
hmm, they put in a new crate motor, then parked it for 2 years, and now trying to sell it? Riiiiiggghhhhtttt.....

What kind of price range are they asking for it? Are you expecting it to be mint-perfect or...?
Yea, fluids are pretty much all you can check. Charge up the battery (or bring one), and see if it'll fire up. You'll need to dump fuel into the tank, the stuff in there is probably dismal by now. It'll need a fuel filter within 100 more miles now.

Check the usual 3rd gen stuff, door sagging, frame twist, fenderwell rot, etc.
Is it a carbed crate motor? What did he do to the original wiring? Do the gauges work, etc?
Old 03-05-2007 | 04:03 PM

ok, first off i wasn't looking for a smart *** answer, just a little input/cooperation. btw, a woman i work with is selling it to get it out of her yard. it was her son's car and now that he has 3 kids and it's just sitting there she wants it gone. i'll know more about it when i meet up with her, i've seen the car and it looks solid, from what she's told me and what i've read up on it, it's an 88 RS and from florida. i know that because that year they only released them in fla. ca. and texas. i'm looking to pick it up this weekend and i'll have more info then. from what i've heard he blew the engine and had a crate motor put in and it's been sitting since. (i'm having a hard time believing it too) but as i see, it's a 5 speed and in good shape. thats all i want for the price, even if it's a v6 or 305 i'd be happy, i'll post pics as soon as i get 'em up.
Old 03-05-2007 | 04:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: not the best not the worst
if it is truely a 1988 RS (rally sport) then it is one of 7,038 produced it was only available with a V6 and 5 Speed so dont be dissapointed if it is a V6... as a V8 would have required a new tranny also... and if it has been sitting in a yard for 2 years... just think of the body rot you need to check the entire bottom of the car basically everywhere as these cars dont like moisture at all
as for starting it i would say that it is up to you...
Old 03-05-2007 | 04:45 PM

so would the tranny not bolt up to anything other than a v-6? i see that the sport coupe came with a 305 5speed, and if i'm gonna put a bigger motor in it would the tranny not be able to handle it? sorry to sound like an idiot, but i've been out of the game for over 10 years and haven't kept up on the third gen camaros. i did a second gen one when i got out of highschool and ran into a deal that sounds too good to pass up, any help will be greatly appreciated and once again i apologize for sounding like such a rookie.
Old 03-05-2007 | 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: not the best not the worst
the bolt pattern is different on the trannys now a tranny from a 305 would go on to any SBC
Old 03-05-2007 | 06:02 PM

Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Could have been a replacement V6 engine - aka, "crate".

I've spent enough time in Florida to be cautious about an original Florida car. Unless well inland, they just rust away.
Old 03-05-2007 | 06:50 PM

well then it looks like i'll be looking for a 5 or 6 speed to replace that one that is compatible with a 350 that i'll also be building, if anyone has one, shoot me a pm or something. i'll also start searching the classified ads as well
Old 03-05-2007 | 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
If you are suspicious about it having a new motor then it being parked, just as I am, why do you think I was giving you a smart a** answer? I WAS trying to help you out with tips and pointers on what to look for, and what to be suspicious about. If you stick with that attitude expect your stay here to be very lonely.
Old 03-05-2007 | 07:17 PM

For the 1988 Camaro model year, Chevy offered only the base Sport Coupe and the IROC-Z Camaro line. Except the 7 thousand some odd Rs's available in select areas. California texas and florida to be exact. So it is very possible that being from florida it will be a V6. All 1988 Camaros (except the IROC-Z with the 5.7 liter V8 which required automatic) could be had with either a 5-speed manual gearbox or 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission.
but either way use a breaker bar and turn the motor a couple of times to make sure everything moves freely inside. and changing the plugs wouldnt be a bad idea either.....but new gas is a must...
Old 03-05-2007 | 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sonix
If you are suspicious about it having a new motor then it being parked, just as I am, why do you think I was giving you a smart a** answer? I WAS trying to help you out with tips and pointers on what to look for, and what to be suspicious about. If you stick with that attitude expect your stay here to be very lonely.

Ask dumb questions get smart *** answer
Old 03-05-2007 | 09:16 PM

i don't see it as a dumb question, and i guess i just took it as being called a liar or whatever. if i was wrong in my taking of it so be it and i apologize for coming off as a jerk...anyways how many times have you heard of the few and far between stories of some lady having her sons old project car that he gave up on and moved away? i'm just hoping this is one of the diamonds in the rough, and i know her pretty well and don't think she'd screw me over. i'll know more later in the week when i go and start/check it completely, until then i just wanna get my facts straight on what to look for and be cautious of, it's been a while and i wanna be sure not to get taken advantage of. and again, thanks for all the help...i have a feeling i'm gonna need alot of research and help on this project.