Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Stalling & Idle issue's

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 6 Cyl
Stalling & Idle issue's

1992 Firebird 6 Cylinder 260,xxx miles

Brief history: (car had been sitting for 1.5 years)

Car idle was normal untill recent maintenance.
The car was given, new plugs, wires, dist. cap/rotor, and oil change.

Symptoms: Idle shot to 2-2.5K and hanged. Would drop to 1.5 in gear. And threw a SES light. (TPS Sensor) ALSO noticed Throttle body was sticking.

Repairs: Replaced TPS sensor, Replaced EGR valve (had exhaust leak), Replaced Catalytic Converter & O2 (cat was bad), Cleaned the TB

(4got to unplugg battery to reset ecu)
New Symptoms: Idle starts usually at 1.5K and slowly declines to 1000 after warmup and even lower too 800-900 after driving. WHEN I SLOW to a stop, the idle drops too 500 and either Stalls and throws a code, or idles rough and surges up to 1000 and kinda bounces for a second. Throttle Body is still sticking alot and I feel it needs a rebuild.

**Also noticed idle shoots to 2000-2.5K after filling up at the pump. Happened last 3x times. Restarting the engine returns it to normal.

CODES: Throwing TPS, & O2 SES CODES. Again i forgot to reset the ecu after replacing those two sensors. Unsure if code is stuck in system or new codes.

PLEASE HELP!! NEED TO SMOG SOON..

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:36 PM

Car: 87 Camaro IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
if its flashing the TPS code then you need to either replace or calibrate it, theres a repair article on how to calibrate that sensor, its not as simple as unbolting it and your done, its gotta be adjusted persicely.

fix your TPS and if that O2 sensor is still there then take a look at that system, but commonly, one failed system can have a cascade effect on others.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:41 PM

I have already replaced the TPS. (But I forgot to reset the ECU so the code may be stuck in there)

And I just found an article here on how to adjust the TPS. But I feel the article may not apply to my TPS sensor as it does not have any grooving/channels at the mounting points to allow any rotation. Can somone ellaborate on this.

Article: https://www.thirdgen.org/tpimod2

My TPS:
Old 01-21-2007, 06:56 PM

new fule, octane booster, system cleaner, and a new fuel filter would be a good start as well.
If it sits that long the gas goes bad. really bad things can happen, dont be affraid to really gag it out, purge the system
Old 01-21-2007, 07:27 PM

The gas definately had condensation in it when i got it. I think The gas was bad as well..

Since then I have Fueled 3 Half tanks with 91 Octane. And used fuel injection cleaner. I hadnt thought of the fuel filter and I will try that as well. I just feel like I am buying part after part chasing an unknown cause.

I had a tech who knows me well, plug in his Code reading machine, pull the two codes previously stated and self diagnosed the car.

He said everything looked fine on his machine and he felt that i should replace the ThrottleBody to solve my issue's. ANY thoguhts on that? (Note, that the car does not have stalling issue's whatsoever if the car does not move)

THANK YOU GUYS FOR BEARING WITH ME..

**Also note that when the vehicle stumbles & stalls out. All the lights in the vehicle flutter and dim. Alternator issue's? or is that normal at very low RPM before stalling?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 PM

Bro your car sat for 1.5 years, and its got over 200k on it, you are probly going to have to replace, just about everything, all the filters, the alt, the distributor (unless its been done already) clean all yoru Batt post.
That is the disadvantage of owning one of these cars, the are 20 + or - years old after awhile every little thing goes. Also check your PCV valve, make sure you are getting good spark are high RPM just pull a wire and by a testor or use a screw driver.
Your modual might be getting weak, or your coil, just gotta work out all the bugs but when they are out its so worth the joy of the drive and the pride in owning a peice of history. Just hang in there we can get you through all your problems.