Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

No heat...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No heat...?

I just bought a 91 Firebird 5.0tbi sight unseen (yeh, i know, prolly not the best idea :P ) ... Anyway, the heat doesn't seem to work.

The fan blows.. Air comes out the vents.. Temp gets to 160-180 or so... I'm not the most mechanically savvy person, so I might have been testing the wrong hoses, but I THINK the heater hoses leading to the heater core both felt warm... That should mean the heater core is not plugged right?

I'm at a loss... haha, word of advice to those who don't know better... Buying cars sight-unseen is a BAD idea. :P ... oh well..

Anyway, thanks for reading this.. Any ideas?

Thanks,
--ElmoTheDestroyer
Old 01-07-2007, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 rs,1 92 rs,92 b4c/1le
Engine: 5.0tbi,5.7 tune port/5.0tpi
Transmission: 5spdx2 and t56
Axle/Gears: 3.08,3.73,3.42
how does the temp control feel i have seen the cable fall off and give the same problem if the heat control moves freely chances are the cable could be of the contoler
Old 01-07-2007, 12:20 AM

That would definately fit the symptoms... I'll check that out tomorrow and see what I can see. Be nice if it was something that easy.

Thanks,
--ElmoTheDestroyer
Old 01-07-2007, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1982 - Z28
Engine: 350 / CCC Q-Jet
Transmission: THM-700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt - 3.73
Some thoughts.....

Elmo,

Are you sure the dampers are opening? If you're feeling air they probably are. There are both mechanical and air actuated dampers under the dash. It is not uncommon for the air actuator (on the back of the upper control lever) to break off (see photo). You also need to make sure there is vacuum being supplied (little stupid looking soda can kinda thing on the back firewall behind the engine & next to the wiper motor).

If all the above is OK you probably do have a bad heater core. Even if both hoses get warm that does not mean it's OK. They will get warm regardless once the engine is as warm as you indicate.....there just won't be any flow through the core. You might try reversing the hoses as this MIGHT (and that's a big MIGHT) dis-lodge some goop and get you SOME heat...just a thought!

Just my

Kurt

P.S. As saavy as I sometimes think I am.....I did the same dumb thing bought my son's z-28 on e-bay and didn't inpsect...... It's taken about $4000 to make it a daily driver that I trust my son will not break down in. It's been a great deal of fun but I'm not sure I'll ever buy a car again sight-unseen!

Originally Posted by elmothedestroye
I just bought a 91 Firebird 5.0tbi sight unseen (yeh, i know, prolly not the best idea :P ) ... Anyway, the heat doesn't seem to work.

The fan blows.. Air comes out the vents.. Temp gets to 160-180 or so... I'm not the most mechanically savvy person, so I might have been testing the wrong hoses, but I THINK the heater hoses leading to the heater core both felt warm... That should mean the heater core is not plugged right?

I'm at a loss... haha, word of advice to those who don't know better... Buying cars sight-unseen is a BAD idea. :P ... oh well..

Anyway, thanks for reading this.. Any ideas?

Thanks,
--ElmoTheDestroyer
Attached Thumbnails No heat...?-z28_duct010707.jpg  
Old 01-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
Air blows, but not hot air?
160-180F? Check the t-stat.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:10 PM

Ok... Well, I checked the vacume/cables attached to the control unit and everything seems to be attached/working. I can hear the vac doors opening and stuff when I move the slider.

Looks like it's either the thermostat or a plugged up heater core.

I'm curious, whats the easiest way to flush the system on these cars? I'd like to keep the mess to a minimum if possible. (I have a dog, so I'd like to try to avoid getting anti-freeze all over the garage floor and stuff) ... Never flushed a cooling system before... I'm sure I could do it without asking directions, but I'm sure I'd waste extra time and make a bigger mess, ya know?

Anyway, I appreciate all the responses, thanks again!
--ElmoTheDestroyer