Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

34 Code Problem, plz help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007 | 05:30 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
34 Code Problem, plz help

Hi everyone,

I have the classic code 34 problem, I have had this problem for some time now about 3 - 5 years (I had my MAF sensor replaced within the last few years) It does not occur that often, but when the engine light goes up, the car either stalls or slows down a lot (to a rough idle for a few seconds). If the car stalls, I turn it back on and I don't see the problem again for at least a few weeks or sometimes months. However I would like to stop this inconsistency, because i almost recently caused an accident because of this engine light.

My car is a 88 Trans AM, 5L TPI. If i reset the ecm through the battery to clear the code, it stays away for about a few days and then comes back. MY gas mileage is pretty good, about 17 - 18.5 mpg city and highway driving combined together with some fun.

So is it my ecm, chip or???. I have heard from others that it may be the two relays. What are these relays and where are they exactly located, do they cost a lot, hard to reach?

Thanks guys for your help.

Pat