Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

cold start??? Need help keeping car on in first try

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro, 1986 Trans AM
Engine: V6 2.8 multi-port and V8 5.0 FI
Transmission: 5-Speed and Automatic
Axle/Gears: no idea
cold start??? Need help keeping car on in first try

My project car needs your help.

My dad gave me his 1987 camaro v6 2.8 multiport which turns on like no tomorrow. good weather bad weather doesn't matter. it was loved through the yrs.

But now i bought myself a 1986 trans am 5.0 v8 TPI fuel injected. As a project car. It wasn't loved

I can never get it to stay running on the first try of turning the key. But second try no biggy. It stays on. I want that first try to be the charm.

I've already done my own maitenece and partial tune ups.

I've heard of soemthing called a cold start sensor/valve??? would that have anythign to do with it?

Also i've heard that a faulty fuel regulator or soemthign along those lines is leakng a small amount of fuel into the engine while off and the engine is actign like its flooded and the first turn of the key burns the access fuel and stalls.

It could or probably be something else. I want to know what you all think.

I have no problem replacing anything. If I try cleaning something it's only going to get dirty again. At least the new part will last another 15-20yrs hopefully, dirty or not.

so any suggestions of how i can repair/fix/tweak my car to get it running better on that first turn please let me know.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88' IROCZ
Engine: 388 TPI Motown 350 Race block
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Originally Posted by Bobby_80s
I've heard of soemthing called a cold start sensor/valve??? would that have anythign to do with it?
The cold start circuit is independant of the ECM - the ECM doesn't sense, or control the cold start circuit.

When the starter is engaged and the coolant temperature is less than 100 deg F. The cold start injector provides a spray of fuel, of 8 seconds duration max, into the intake manifold (basically functions like a Throttle Body Injector.) If the engine temperature is greater than 100 deg F, the cold start injector is disabled by the cold start switch.

Since it's only on for 8 seconds I don't think it part of the problem.
You might want to look into the IAC, and TPS calibration Tech Article which involves resetting the baseline idle air. Cleaning the Throttle body and the IAC passage is a must before attempting the procedure. Given that the IAC is probably 20yrs old, I'd recommend replacing it as well.
Good wrenching, and let us know how it turns out - RJG.
https://www.thirdgen.org/tpimod2
Old 12-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro, 1986 Trans AM
Engine: V6 2.8 multi-port and V8 5.0 FI
Transmission: 5-Speed and Automatic
Axle/Gears: no idea
I already replaced the IAC and throttle body. Car runs a lot better then it did. I still have to calibrate the min. air for idle but like i said the second turn of the key after the first time stalling the car stays on and idles around 500-1000 rpm. But thanks for explaining the cold start thing to me. The car does turn right back on after recently driving it. its that first try after a few dyas to a week that i want it to stay on like my camaro does.

But hey i bought this car so i can learn as i go so i'm not worried.

its after leaving it for a week outside and that first turn of the key that makes me wish i can keep it running. I don't care what it is I'll fix it. Just need to know where to start.

I'll be calibrating the TPS and IAC first but after that I'm kinda at a loss.