Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

90 l98 intake/cam/lifters ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 camaro iroc-z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
90 l98 intake/cam/lifters ...

I've got a l98 irocz that makes some ticking type noise at idle coming from the drivers side valve cover ... tiny tiny sound also from the passengers ... i thought the valves on these shouldn't be coming loose ... i'm hearing different stories and what not on this issue ... soon as the temps around here reach above 40 during the day i'll pull it off and check um out and reset lash to specs ... if this doesn't solve that, could i have a sticky lifter? ... with that said, i wanna have it rebuilt as its got 110k on it and seems to be getting tired ... i've been looking at the HSR for an intake remedy for the current TPI "some people argue the HSR is a TPI setup" even though personally i think it would fall under "Tuned" ... anyway, i'm also looking into a new cam and lifters and perhaps some new rockers ... i'm looking at 63-08-502-8 from comp cams, which is the largest allowed keeping the stock TQ converter ... or finding a 2000+ stall cheap and gears for the 63-08-503-8 ... i'm currently atad short on funds to go even more wild than the 502 ... will this cam be enough for later changes .. like gears, a stall ... i'm freakin confused lol ... the motors got the l98 aluminum heads ... can i get these machined from a shop to flow like these aftermarkets? ... I was also looking at rockers the cran gold , self aligning .... does this setup use 1.5 or the 1.6 ... i'd like to save the money on clearance issues and just build power on the motor ... once i've figured out parts and how to go about this would a novice beable to learn and rebuild the motor from block up? ... or would it be wise to suck it up and have a shop put the parts together for me ? ....
Old 12-11-2006, 04:48 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I'd say go with the larger cam and save your nickles, dimes, and tooth fairy money for a converter. That way you'd only do the cam once.

The heads will probably need modification to accomodate the lift of either cam. New valve springs as well. I'd recommend the Comp Pro Magnum rockers over the Crane golds. Use 1.5's.

You can get the heads ported to flow much better. Assuming the shop doing the work knows what they're doing and don't make them worse.

A novice can rebuild an engine. The machine work should be left to a shop, but all of the assembly with simple and borrowed tools. The heads should probably be assembled by a shop, though.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 camaro iroc-z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Ok cool, i can do that ... so basicly i'm gonna be looking at pulling off the heads and sending them out to a shop, there's a place about 35 miles north of me called Hightech machining ... they worked on my friends monte and its pretty impressive so i'll be going there ... i'll have them do the head work and assemble them there ... with the motor making noise should i have it cleaned up and honed and whatever it is they do and just order a new set of pistons prolly for a 355 ... and will the Holley stealth ram work well with this set of rockers and cam ? ... also with the heads ported ... i'd also like to replace the lifters as i think there's atleast one that sticks ... might as well while its out ... its either the valves or a lifter ticking .... both are being replaced ... and what exactly is the difference between the 1.5 and 1.6 rockers .... At first and really still do want this car to do 0-80 as fast as i can get there .... i'll be losing trq with the HSR but pulling in the much needed HP this car needs. Thanks for the help, i know i got alot of questions and look to do this around this month or january .. so i gotta build some info up ...

Oh and before i forget during this post ... what would be a good set of gears to look into ... i believe there 3.23.

Last edited by darkage; 12-11-2006 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added a comment