Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Code 42 and wierd exhaust + tranny symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006 | 11:18 PM

Car: 92 RS
Engine: 3.1 L
Transmission: Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Code 42 and wierd exhaust + tranny symptoms

3.1 L with 76k miles. 5-speed.

I know I need a new clutch, it was on its last legs when I bought it. The car would drive fine however, if I feathered the clutch a tad. It had been this way for 6 months.

Within the last week and a half, the sound of the exhaust has become increasingly "throttly". Now, it is very, very loud, as if there are holes in the muffler. There arent any backfires like the ones from the movie Uncle Buck, but it is just very, very throttly, and it sounds as if little debris are rattling out of the exhaust when driving. Nothing actually comes out, but thats the way it sounds.

It was driving per usual last night when the code 42 was thrown first. I suspected the SES was just one of those once a month random turnons, and cleared it.

As of this morning it feels very underpowered, and first gear is very slippery. Once in gear, I cannot accelerate without extreme jerkiness in gears 1-2-3. Also, it threw a code 42 again as sson as I started the car this morning.

Isnt the ignition module the common problem with code 42? I dont see how code 42 is telling me about the exhaust problem, which also doesnt see connected to the fact that i need a new transmission.

Any correlations between this would be appreciated.