Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine Turns Over but Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Turns Over but Won't Start

Greetings all,

I have an 88 Trans Am GTA (LB9). I drove it this morning, no problems. When I went to drive it again this afternoon, I couldn't get it to start. When I turn the key, the starter cranks the engine and it turns over fine. You even hear that nice rumble as the engine catches. The problem is that right after that rumble, it dies within a second every time. I replaced the fuel filter, distributer cap, and rotor (they needed it anyway), but no help. Nothing happened this morning to lead me to believe I had a problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steven
Old 11-13-2006, 02:28 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS(RealSlow)
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: unknown/mostlikelycrappy
bad IAC valve, vacuum leak, etc etc..

I would eliminate the possibility starting from the cheap.
do replace cheap sensors and parts that will help the car keep running healthy so u wont have to worry about it, and if none helps time for further inspection or a mechanic.

if it does try to crank, I think its either a fuel or spark problem.

hopefully not but ur fuel pump might have died?

good luck
Old 11-13-2006, 02:35 AM

The fuel pump is good, I checked it when I had the fuel filter off. I'll do a check/replace on the cheap bits and pieces. Thank you.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L EFI LTR setup
Transmission: T-5 World Class
Could be a few things maybe. Like even a bad injector. Whats the rail preasure ? Did you ohm out the injecotrs yet ? What about stored codes ...
Old 11-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW
Does it start up if you give it a little gas while cranking? If so, take off your aircleaner and MAF sensor, take some carb clean, spray it on a lint free cloth, then open up your throttle blades and wipe off the inside of the TB. Worked for my problem. Also the suggested cure from a Goodwrench mechanic friend of mine.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: 400 SBC
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Spray some carb cleaner, staring fluid, or other flammable spray into the plennum while cranking, if it fires you have a fuel problem, if not you have a spark problem. If it's spark, I would suspect the ignition module or pick up coil since you already replaced the cap and rotor. If it's fuel check if the injectors are firing and make sure your fuel pump is priming. This is a pretty generic test, it doesn't cover EVERYTHING.

David
Old 11-14-2006, 08:39 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9bolt 3.27
fastest way to check spark is to take a plug wire off plug get your buddy to crank hold a long screw driver to plug wire if you see a nice arc from wire to screw driver you good if not probably your coil. make sure your getting fuel if you got spark and fuel check your compression. If everything checks out its a bad sensor somewhere. A few sensors will cause your car not to run. Check your codes you can do it with a paper clip. Check everything you can for free before you waist money on parts you dont need.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:14 PM

Problem Solved

Well, I went through some of the tests you recommended. The spray didn't help, but I had power to the plugs. I took it to the mechanic, and was told the wires in the ignition key cylinder had broken. The car could no longer read the resistance in the key. I had the cylinder replaced and new key made - problem solved. I was told that, without a positive read on the key, some cars cut the starter (my old '89 V6 did that) while others (like my '88 GTA) cut the fuel injectors. That's why the cars started and died. Once the computer realized the key wasn't right, it killed the gas.

Thanks for all your help.