Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

NYC metro machine shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC metro machine shop

looking for a reputable machine shop. example: something as trivial as allowing for equal gap between keepers on both sides when returning heads to a customer. finding out now that last machine shop i used has 14 out of 16 keepers gapped on one side and flush butted up against eachother on the other side. Id like to have a rotating assembly balanced. Queens LI prefered. Just need it done correctly by HONEST PROFESSIONALS
the key word being professional

TIA
Jason
Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,311 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Keepers move around when the engine runs. Always.

That's a good example of something not to waste your money paying somebody to devote their effort towards, because it will undo itself within the first 5 seconds of the motor running. They'll go wherever they feel like at any given moment, and they won't just find one place and stay there. Put them on, see where they are, run them, check after a few seconds, they'll probably EVERY ONE be different.

It's just as important to know what DOESN'T matter (and don't throw away your money on it), as it is to know what DOES.

I'd suggest hanging out at your local circle track (surely even in a small town like NYC there must be one of those around somewhere) and finding out where the people WHO WIN get their machine work done; and sending your stuff out to that place.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Originally Posted by sofakingdom
I'd suggest hanging out at your local circle track (surely even in a small town like NYC there must be one of those around somewhere) and finding out where the people WHO WIN get their machine work done; and sending your stuff out to that place.
As long as they don't try to build you a circle track engine for your street car.