Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help me pick

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006 | 08:46 PM

Car: 1985 IROC
Engine: 350 TPI (block was swapped)
Transmission: 700r4 w/corvette servo
Axle/Gears: no idea
Help me pick

So my stock alternator bracket isnt cutting it. I accidently broke the bolt that holds the alternator to the cylinder head and I dont feel like messing with it at all. I want to buy a water pump mounted alternator bracket but I dont know which one to choose. I have a stock water pump, I dont know if its short or long.

summitracing.com

What bracket would suit me best?
Old 08-30-2006 | 08:51 PM

Summit Chrome Alternator Brackets: SUM-G4017 - summitracing.com

would that work?
Old 08-31-2006 | 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
You should have the *short* water pump, I think. The long was was only corvettes and a few trucks, the other one is every other small block chev. Sometimes I mix them up though, do a search on here, I know someone has asked that before.

Your previous setup had the alt mounted to waterpump and cylinder head right? and the one bolt on the intake manifold? I think that's the "norm" for a v-belt old school setup. alt on passenger side, etc.
That one you showed should work fine, maybe get the ARP polished bolt set as well, since you snapped your bolt. They'd really jazz up the area
Old 08-31-2006 | 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Water pumps in Camaros were all long style.

You broke off the long fulcrum bolt underneath the alternator that goes through a metal tube/bracket and threads into the head? Where'd you break it? If you just broke it in the bracket (becuase they sometimes seize up in there) a replacement bracket and bolt is easy. Even if it's in the head I would think getting the bolt out would be about as much work as converting over to a different style of alternator mounting.
Old 08-31-2006 | 11:52 AM

Well originally the bottom fulcrum bolt had broken off leaving maybe 1/4th of an inch of bolt sticking out of the head, even with a blow torch/vice grips, I could not get it loose. I said F' it and ended up just using the one bolt that holds the alternator to the bracket that attatches to the water pump/intake manifold. It held up fine for a while unless I would rev my engine too high, causing an imbalance and would make my belt jump off. I would normally have to pull over every once in a while to put my belt back on when my choke light came on. I was driving my car the other day when the belt came off. I ended up tightening the bolt like normal and ended up snapping the bolt inside of the alternator *top bolt* Luckily for me the bolt was sticking out enough to grab it with pliers and turn it out. Well I had a second bolt that fit so I used that, and it also ended up breaking. The 2nd bolt was smaller though *in length* and now I dont have any bolt to grab onto with pliers *so I need to drill it out/easy it out*. The bolt thats broke in the head is a pain in the ***, I dont feel like having to cut it flush and drilling/easying it out. I would rather just buy an aftermarket bracket and call it a day. What are the differences between the "long" and "short" water pumps?

Im about to throw in the towel when it comes to my car, I finally get it on the road and it runs like dog s***, and breaks on me. I have never been taught how to work on a car and I went and replaced the engine. I guess im thankfull at least for it to be running.