Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How to Lift Headlights Manually 88 GTA

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:14 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to Lift Headlights Manually 88 GTA

Hi,

I think the plastic bushings are shot in my headlight motors. Until I fix them, I need to open and close the headlights manually. I tried turning the **** next to the headlight, but the headlight doesn't move. I even tried lifting the headlight as I was turning the ****, still nothing. The **** turns easliy but the headlight just stays put. Do I need to have the lights turned on when turning the ****?

The driver side headlight is stuck in the down position. The pass side still comes up with the headlight motor on, but I need to lift it to help it.

A couple days ago I could still lift the driver side light up to help the motor lift it, but now the headlight is just stuck in the down position, even if I try to lift it with the headlight motor on.

Both of the ***** are still turning when I turn on the light switch.

Anyway.... is there some way I can manually lift the headlights ???

Thanks
Old 08-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 TA
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
yup. sounds like your bushings are bad. you can get a rebuild kit from TDS. if the light won't come up manualy you can always disconnect the armature that connects the motor to the headlight assembly and prop it up temporarily.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:33 AM

What I used to do was flip the switch (that spins the motor) and then pull the headlight up by hand. Sometimes the gears and stuff inside the motor get slightly jammed up and you cant move anything, usually flipping the headlight switch a couple times fixes that.

The motor isnt hard to take apart. If you go to your local home improvement store and buy some nylon spacers/washers and fill them in with epoxy... so far thats working good for me. They need to be .490 diameter, IIRC. Dont use wooden dowels... ask me how I know. Sawdust.