Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

TPI swap no start--lost....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPI swap no start--lost....

Hi guys,

I am new to this but I hoping for some insight.

I just finished swapping a TPI 350 into my 305TBI 1990 firebird. Of course, it will not start. So where I am at:

I have spark, the timing is set correct, I rechecked while cranking. I spun the distributor 180 just to be sure. I have good spark at the plugs. I rechecked the wires to make sure they are not crossed or mixed.

I have fuel pressure, kind of. When I first turn to run I get good pressure at the schrader valve. Then it dies right off. When I crank the pressue again opens right up, but dies off when I turn back to run. While cranking I pulled the fuel lines and it puts out good flow. I have a new fuel pump, TPIS regulator. The injectors have been pulled, cleaned and mapped. I was going to put power to the 'G' terminal on my ADL block but there is no connector there.

Anyone with advice would be great. I tried to search the board but for some reason I keep coming up with an explorer error.....I have been trouble shooting this forever and I am going nuts.

Thanks
Shawn
Old 07-28-2006, 04:03 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS - not real slow anymore...
Engine: SPDC 360 MAF EFI /w a Holley Stealth Ram
Transmission: T5 untill it blows up from to much torque
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" /w auburn pro & 3.89's
Originally Posted by Shawn Hartsock
Hi guys,

I am new to this but I hoping for some insight.

I just finished swapping a TPI 350 into my 305TBI 1990 firebird. Of course, it will not start. So where I am at:

I have spark, the timing is set correct, I rechecked while cranking. I spun the distributor 180 just to be sure. I have good spark at the plugs. I rechecked the wires to make sure they are not crossed or mixed.

I have fuel pressure, kind of. When I first turn to run I get good pressure at the schrader valve. Then it dies right off. When I crank the pressue again opens right up, but dies off when I turn back to run. While cranking I pulled the fuel lines and it puts out good flow. I have a new fuel pump, TPIS regulator. The injectors have been pulled, cleaned and mapped. I was going to put power to the 'G' terminal on my ADL block but there is no connector there.

Anyone with advice would be great. I tried to search the board but for some reason I keep coming up with an explorer error.....I have been trouble shooting this forever and I am going nuts.

Thanks
Shawn
It's normal for fuel pressure to drop off in the run position before starting the engine. This brief pressure build up is the fuel pump priming. You obviously have an electrical issue assuming your plug wires are in the right order. What's the signal voltage at the TPS?

Personally, I'de jumper the pins at the fuel pump relay to keep it on steadily, then I would take an amp clamp and start tracing the 2 wires in search of zero amperage...
Old 08-02-2006, 07:12 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird S/E
Engine: LG4 TPI Conversion
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 SLP Posi 10 Bolt
WHat memcal are you using? I had a stock AUJP from the dealer and it wouldn't start... turned out to be looking for a non-existant VATS signal. moates.net's chip adapter and a burn with VATS set to zero fired it right up.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:29 PM

I had a new chip burned from TPIS, I still have the old one and tried that as well with no luck. I have not had time to track down any zero amp leads yet, I did trip the fuel pump relay and it runs fine and holds pressure well.
I also noticed that my check engine light does not come on when I crank it over, I need to see if it is a bad bulb or if this is something else going on.

If it was looking for a non-existant VATS would I still get spark or would it cut that off?

I am off this weekend so hopefully I will get to mess some more with it and see how it goes.

Thanks again
Shawn